East Syracuse, NY
WSYR Newchannel 9 has a rare opening for a Sports Anchor/Reporter. The Sports Anchor/Reporter produces and anchors sports reports for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers. The candidate must be willing to work weekends and be well versed in college and high school athletics. The Syracuse market is a very sports-centric region, home to Syracuse University football, basketball, lacrosse and is a hotbed for high school and minor league sports. The candidate must be able to contribute to a weekly half-hour show focused on SU football and basketball. They must also be well versed in high school athletics and be a major contributor to a weekly high school sports highlight show. The candidate should also be very active on social media.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produces and presents sports reports for all platforms.
• Reports and produces weekly sports programs Orange Nation, Friday Night Fever, Athlete of the Week and sports specials throughout the year.
• Ensures that all sports content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers sports stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Must have strong digital media and social media background
• Edits video clips for television broadcasts and Digital Media content.
• Writes stories for the website and other Digital Media platforms.
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating sports programming and other content.
• Responds to breaking sports events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Works closely with the sports team to develop comprehensive sports coverage.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Shoots video for sports reports.
• Sets up, composes and executes video shots.
• Maintains video equipment.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• Comprehensive knowledge of sports and sports related activities.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Minimum two years' experience in sports reporting or anchoring. (More or less depending on market size.)
• Superior on-air presence.
• Required to be active in social media
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.