WSYR-TV NewsChannel 9, Syracuse, NY has a new and exciting position available on the Digital First team. The Digital Content and Audience Specialist should be passionate about local news, innovative, reader-focused, and full of creativity and initiative. The individual works directly with the Digital First Team to bring the day's content to life in a way that engages and captures the attention of our online audience.
This role is responsible for updating websites, curating high-performing content, crafting homepage layouts driven by data, and helping to report news -- everything from quick-hit local stories to breaking news and enterprise reports. This role will work on building a loyal local audience by being responsive to traffic patterns and audience interest while serving as a steward of our brands across multiple markets.
• Curate and aggregate a steady stream of interesting content that is packaged and promoted in a way that generates engagement and repeat site visitation.
• Monitor all forms of media (print, TV, digital, blogs and social) and be quick to report breaking news stories and always on the hunt for exclusive and/or trending content that will grow engagement and drive loyal, local traffic
• Flexibility to perform duties across multiple websites
• Excellent at writing headlines that grow audience and engagement
• Prioritize packaging content that grows pageviews per visitor and time on site, using headline testing, metric tools and observed patterns to guide decision making
• Understand different ways to tell a story, particularly producing short videos and choosing great photos
• Evaluate website traffic trends to make decisions on both daily content needs and longer-term content curation that will grow local audience
• Build positive working relationships with newsroom staff and management, work collaboratively on enterprise content, and create opportunities to market web content on broadcast
• Promote and distribute news content on social media
• Bachelor's Degree
• 2 years of experience in digital content and journalism
• Clever headline writer that gets readers to click
• Strong multi-tasking abilities
• Organized, technical problem solver and quick decision maker
• Capable of researching, interviewing and writing original news articles
• Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style
• Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills
• Ease with/ability to learn new technology independently and quickly
• Strong communicator
• Some schedule flexibility (nights, weekends)
• Regularly meets measurements of success
• Strong understanding of Google Analytics; Chartbeat experience a plus
• Proficiency in MS Office; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus
This specialist will attend local and regional editorial meetings as needed/assigned. This person will have familiarity with local, regional, and national content and uses data to make decisions on what stories to publish and how to showcase them on websites. The individual may be asked to manage multiple regional websites during a shift. The person in this role will take stories from local newsrooms and digital reporters and help package the content for engagement. Other tasks include improving headlines and thumbnail images. Successes will be communicated across the group to maximize traffic across as many websites as possible.
Measurements of success:
• Works well with regional newsrooms
• Doesn't miss big stories
• Makes decisions based on data
• Understands KPIs and regularly works towards those goals
• Responds well to feedback and offers insights on how audience is responding to content and headlines
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital Content and Audience Specialist must be able to stand, sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. The Digital Content and Audience Specialist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g33z7x-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.