WSAZ covers a wide, diverse area comprised of three states. Many small towns sit along the Ohio River and smaller rivers and streams that run through rolling hills. Our viewers and customers are extremely friendly and down-to-earth. Although we're not a major metropolitan region, the WSAZ market enjoys relatively close proximity to many large eastern cities, and is easily accessible by interstate, rail, river and air.
We enjoy all four seasons, and the activities that come with each. Nature is always a short distance away, with many surrounding state parks and lakes for recreation. Within the larger towns and cities, there is a vibrant night life with many outstanding restaurants and local festivals throughout the year.
Since 1949, WSAZ has been the overwhelming number one choice for Breaking News, Severe Weather coverage and information in western West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and southern Ohio. Generations of residents have grown up counting on WSAZ to be a window to their world on-air and now digitally. Our people, on-air and behind the scenes, are trusted friends and neighbors in the community. There is a culture within our walls that recognizes the responsibility we carry, to continue what was started more than sixty years ago. We take pride in our ratings, our content, our status, and the need to maintain the work ethic that got us to where we are.
There has always been a family atmosphere at WSAZ. We care about each other, and know that we are stronger as one team than as many individuals. We take our jobs seriously, and know that we can be successful and have fun at the same time.
WSAZ-TV, a dominant #1 station, is looking for a full-time multimedia journalist. We are seeking a reporter that is passionate about the art of storytelling through crafted scripts, compelling interviews, creative video, meaningful natural sound and skilled editing. We want someone assertive and works to uncover news, not merely cover it. The candidate must be able to ask the tough questions but also someone who can connect with people and tell stories about the human condition. The candidate should have strong reporting and shooting skills, leadership qualities, solid news judgment and the ability to multitask.
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Present information in a fair, unbiased manner, insuring the information is accurate and of interest to viewers
• Develop story ideas to present in morning/afternoon news meeting
• Eager to report, go live, onset debrief of story
• You must have strong writing, shooting and editing skills, ability to post stories to the web and read from a computer monitor
• Willing to work with our news consultant to develop on-air look and presence
• Work contacts and establish self in beat counties and community
• Candidate should have a degree in Journalism or related field
• 1-2 years of experience is preferred
• Always present a professional image as a representative of WSAZ-TV
• Ability to handle moderate stress on a regular basis, meet daily and long range deadlines, work well with others in a team atmosphere and contribute meaningful content daily
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb70jx-3-87-33-97-42 in your application.