WSAZ covers a wide, diverse area comprised of three states. Many small towns sit along the Ohio River and smaller rivers and streams that run through rolling hills. Our viewers and customers are extremely friendly and down-to-earth. Although we're not a major metropolitan region, the WSAZ market enjoys relatively close proximity to many large eastern cities, and is easily accessible by interstate, rail, river and air.
We enjoy all four seasons, and the activities that come with each. Nature is always a short distance away, with many surrounding state parks and lakes for recreation. Within the larger towns and cities, there is a vibrant night life with many outstanding restaurants and local festivals throughout the year.
Since 1949, WSAZ has been the overwhelming number one choice for Breaking News, Severe Weather coverage and information in western West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and southern Ohio. Generations of residents have grown up counting on WSAZ to be a window to their world on-air and now digitally. Our people, on-air and behind the scenes, are trusted friends and neighbors in the community. There is a culture within our walls that recognizes the responsibility we carry, to continue what was started more than sixty years ago. We take pride in our ratings, our content, our status, and the need to maintain the work ethic that got us to where we are.
There has always been a family atmosphere at WSAZ. We care about each other, and know that we are stronger as one team than as many individuals. We take our jobs seriously, and know that we can be successful and have fun at the same time.
Gray Television is looking for an aggressive Investigative/Political Reporter for its four West Virginia stations, including WSAZ-TV, a dominant #1 station known as one of the highest rated stations in the country.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
The experienced reporter must be a passionate self-starter who is unafraid to ask tough questions and has the ability to turn investigations that are relevant and newsworthy. We're looking for someone who is engaged, observant, well-informed and determined to uncover the stories that can spark change and/or get results. The person must be a creative storyteller with the ability to personalize stories for people and about people. This job will require the reporter to spend time researching and analyzing data that help uncover trends, issues, etc. This person will work in a newsroom that prides itself on enterprising hard news stories that affect our viewers. This is not an entry level position. We are looking for a reporter with investigative/political experience.
- Ability to write and edit compelling stories
- Enterprise investigative stories daily
- Ability to write FOIA requests, read and/or analyze data and follow up on requests to local and state agencies.
- Curious to dig into complex or important issues
- Develop sources within the community and political circle to understand and identify important issues
- Work with news directors, producers, anchors to develop stories
- Develop and create additional graphics for on-air and digital content to provide additional information for social media platforms
- Candidate should have a degree in Journalism or related field
- Always present a professional image as a representative of Gray Television
- Ability to handle moderate stress on a regular basis, meet daily and long range deadlines, work well with others in a team atmosphere and contribute meaningful content daily
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq8jq6-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.