WPIX has an immediate opening for a full-time traffic and weather anchor. This position will put you right in the middle of a fast-paced news environment. This position will work closely with our news team and is a vital part of the operation. This Hybrid position requires you present weather information, traffic reports and other content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging, and meaningful to news consumers. A passion for communicating weather information through graphics, verbally, and in writing is desired. Proficiency in weather analysis and forecasting is expected. Candidates should also have experience with traffic reporting and knowledge on New York roads and rails. Assist in coordinating weather programming on multiple platforms. Maintain a deep level of familiarity with the state and region. Respond to breaking weather news as required.
• Focuses on providing timely and useful information to commuters planning their drives to and from work, as well as to those already en route by maintaining contact with external sources of information or by observing traffic from air or land vehicles.
• Announces the latest accidents and traffic delays.
• Manages gathered information: keeps all the facts straight, makes sure details are accurate and current and tracks any changes.
• Maintains crucial deadlines in order to provide traffic updates in a timely fashion
• May require flexibility in work schedules.
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science preferred, Master's degree is a plus
• Minimum of five years of operational forecasting experience
• Experience with TV weather graphics/animations and weather graphics systems
• Exceptional weather judgment
• Knowledgeable with local coverage area geography and roadways, mass transit and traffic patterns
• Pleasant, charismatic and well-controlled voice; excellent pronunciation
• Adept at working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented, ''newsroom-like'' collaborative environment
• Excellent writing and editing skills; proficient in grammar
• Strong attention to detail, following up until issues are resolved
• Ability to plan and organize, set priorities and multi task in a fast-paced environment
• Must be proficient in social/digital media
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkem08-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.