Sports Anchor / Reporter / MMJ
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
WPBF 25 News, the Hearst Television ABC Affiliate in the West Palm Beach market, is looking for a Sports Anchor/Reporter who can break the clichéd local sports model of daily national sports highlights and scores. We want a Sportscaster who focuses on hyper-local sports content, uncovers the big sports stories, moves beyond the dry press conference sound bites, enterprises compelling local human-interest stories, and finds the unique angles that will captivate the non-sports fan. Must be able to enterprise exclusives, tell interesting stories, and execute energetic live shots. We are looking for a Sportscaster who knows when sports news is breaking news and wants to jump into continuous coverage and knows how to produce and contribute to sports specials and event coverage.
Our Sports Anchor will write and edit scripts with conversational communication in mind.
• Anchor and Produce Monday-Friday early evening and 11pm sports segments.
• Anchor and Produce Friday night High School Football, Basketball shows, Spring Training, Honda Classic, etc.
• Anchor weekend sports segments as needed.
• Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on sports, day-of news or special project assignments
• Produce and report additional sports and news content as assigned.
• Deliver scripted and ad lib material with professionalism, personality and purpose
• Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
• Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow us to break stories of significance.
• Contribute both written and video content to our digital products and our social media sites
• Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
• An ability to summarize information into easy-to-understand components
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• Edit video on Adobe Premier and other non-linear platforms.
• Participate in editorial meetings and contribute fresh ideas for newscasts, sweeps and special projects
• Be well versed in local, national and international sports, with special attention to high school athletics, ACC and other conference sports, NASCAR, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc.
• Be available for unscheduled assignments on mornings, nights, weekends and holidays
• Appears on behalf of the station at public events
• Prior sports anchoring and reporting experience
• College degree or equivalent work/military experience
Hearst Television, a subsidiary of Hearst, owns and operates local television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households.