WNEP-TV, TEGNA's ABC affiliate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pa. has an opening for a Digital Desk Assignment Coordinator. This position requires planning and coordination of on-air and online news coverage in our 17 county DMA in northeastern and central Pennsylvania. The Digital Desk Assignment Coordinator makes decisions about what stories need to be covered; checks phone and email news tips, and checks for updates on breaking news and developing stories. This person will also create content for our digital platforms including our web site and social media pages.
• React quickly to breaking news and move crews effectively
• Manage time and logistics to make sure selected stories are covered efficiently with available staff
• Review all news releases, monitor police and fire scanners, and check social media and other local news sources for story ideas. Must have knowledge of their operations, codes, and basic use
• Make beat calls to local agencies such as police departments, courts, etc.
• Represent WNEP in conversations with other media organizations about pool coverage and access issues
• Lead long-term story planning, including keeping track of big stories, potential follow ups, and organizing a newsroom calendar
• Provide editorial guidance and manage logistics to execute daily newsroom content
• Use multiple social media platforms to identify stories that will trend well with audiences
• Generate story ideas through the monitoring of UGC photo/video submissions from viewers and social media platforms
• Create content for all digital platforms based on information gathered from field crews, news releases, etc.
• Coordinate with digital team and field crews to keep stories updated with new information, videos, images
• Produce live streams for digital and social platforms during Breaking News, Severe Weather
• Search and locate criminal and civil document systems to be distributed to news and digital producers
• Maintain knowledge of specific political, community and business leaders
• Understand audience insights and metrics, apply to content planning and execution
• Bachelor's degree preferred; equivalent experience required
• 1-3 years of experience working as a newsroom assignment editor
• Ability to work a verity of shifts, including nights, weekends, overtime, and breaking news situations as needed
• Strong written and verbal communications, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Sedentary work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 US markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g66v30-18-232-31-255-42 in your application.