WNCN, the CBS station in Raleigh, is looking for an Assistant News Director to help lead our expanding newsroom of 70+. The Assistant News Director will lead the daily Editorial Meetings, Supervise Reporters and Special Projects and help us take our newscasts to the next level. Candidates must have strong leadership skills, solid news judgment, the ability to showcase important stories on TV and Digital and know how to win ''Breaking News and Weather''. As the #2 newsroom manager, the Assistant News Director will help execute the station's brand and craft our daily content on all platforms. The Assistant News Director will work closely with the News Director to hire and recruit the best candidates to join our team. Candidates must have a BA in Journalism and a minimum of five years Executive Producer or Assistant News Director experience at a network affiliate. If you're ready to join our team and work in ''one of the best places to live in America'', please apply online at the Nexstar Career site at www.nexstar.tv
• Assists the News Director with management of all aspects of the News Department (other than Production.)
• Assists with planning, staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Consults on decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Serves as the News Director in his/her absence.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum two years' experience in news programming production, with some leadership experience preferred. (Depending on market size.)
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g317x9-44-192-254-173-42 in your application.