Sports Anchor / MMJ - WMTV
At WMTV, we work hard and take pride in getting it right. Our team was recently honored with back-to-back ''News Operation of the Year'' awards in 2020 and 2019 by the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association. Our sports department was similarly recognized for outstanding coverage--- for Best Sportscast and Best Sports Reporting by the WBA. The sports team's other top honors include a Regional Edward R. Murrow Award and an Emmy.
Our next team member will contribute daily to elevating our sports coverage and having hits outside of the traditional ''sports segments.'' You will also be an ambassador-championing our community initiatives. You'll work hard and find balance outside of work. Madison is consistently named one of the best places to live in America. We are conveniently just 1.5 hours from Milwaukee, 2.5 hours from Chicago and 5 hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Our weekend sports anchor/MMJ is a high-impact, high-profile position that requires initiative, creativity and leadership. The person we hire must be a natural and dynamic storyteller, who knows how to find the story behind the press releases. We also need someone who can find the compelling story behind the play-by-play and game highlights-- you can find those stats before the newscast starts. Our mission is to find and deliver high-impact, compelling and engaging sports content on every platform. You must be as excited about digital as you are about working in the field and being on-air.
Applicants must have the desire to win, take initiative, and have the ability to reflect on your work and apply feedback. The ideal candidate will also possess versatility, speed and accuracy when it comes to gathering and verifying facts, shooting and editing video, and writing. You must have exceptional reporting skills and live delivery, news judgement and ethics. NBC15 is a multi-platform organization and qualified candidates will excel in traditional television storytelling, as well as digital innovation.
We do it all here. We cover the local high school level, to the Wisconsin Badgers, Milwaukee Bucks and Brewers, and the Green Bay Packers. It's a great time to be covering sports in the state of Wisconsin and at WMTV.
• Write and post copy daily on all digital platforms as new information is learned. This includes NBC15.com, social media, our news app, OTT and within our television newscasts.)
• Execute a daily digital plan tailored to your assignment and long-term projects. This includes posting to social media throughout your shift, identifying opportunities for live streaming on our website and Facebook, getting live and user-generated content to our newsroom's News Now Desk.
• Understand our DMA, key target audiences and where they live.
• Develop sources within the community to gain unique, ''Only On'' insight and reports on important and impactful sports stories that appeal to educated sports fans and even non-sports fans.
• Support the news team.
• Pitch original story ideas daily.
• Strong research skills, ability to employ critical thinking skills to dig and go ''beyond the press release'' and/or confirm incoming news tips via email or social media.
• Work with a sense of immediacy independently and as a team.
• A college degree in journalism or related field. At least two or more years of newsroom experience preferred.
• A strong candidate will have an established and responsible presence on digital platforms, including station website, social media and OTT.
• Understanding of and adherence to AP Style (on digital platforms) and broadcast writing for television.
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), proven news judgement, ethics and integrity.
• Strong work ethic, organizational and leadership skills. Must be able to work quickly, make deadlines, multi-task and show composure, especially during breaking news.
• Ability to work long hours/overtime, weekends, and overnights as needed for breaking news and specialized coverage.
• Must have a good driving record, be able to carry 35+ pounds of gear, and be experienced in shooting and editing unique content.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqo32m-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.