Sports Director - WMC
WMC, Action News 5 in Memphis is the NBC affiliate and legacy news station in the highly competitive Memphis, Tennessee Market. Action News 5 is driven by community. The station is owned by Gray Television. The station serves roughly the western third of Tennessee, northern Mississippi, eastern Arkansas and the southeastern corner of Missouri over the air, on satellite, and on various cable systems.
WMC-TV seeks a dynamic and experienced Sports Director to join our team. This is an opportunity to join an organization that not only covers one of the most exciting local sports markets in the country, but also to be a part of national productions for ESPN. WMC-TV is one of the only local television stations in America to produce live sports events that air nationally on ESPN+ (nearly 60 productions in 2022). Our city, our teams, and our sports department all have a Grit and Grind mentality. You'll have a chance to cover the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies, World Golf Championships, St. Jude Invitational, (featuring the top 50 PGA players in the world), NCAA Division I, University of Memphis and Ole Miss, HBCU, LeMoyne-Owen College, St. Louis Cardinal, Triple A powerhouse Memphis Redbirds, USL Champions Division, Memphis 901 FC and some of the best DII, DIII, JUCO and prep athletes in the country.
We believe in comprehensive coverage and in-depth storytelling across linear and digital platforms. We produce more than 35 original long-form programs for NCAA Division I, including the Penny Hardaway Show. We also travel with our local teams as they pursue their championship dreams. This is not your average local sports job, this is a chance to grow your national profile.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Produce, write, shoot and edit sports-related stories for our newscasts
- Produce and anchor local news sports segments
- Co-host long-form programming
- Staff some ESPN+ plus productions (play-by-play, analysis, or side-line)
- Assist in planning daily and long-term sports coverage
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field, or equivalent training and/or experience
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Sports Anchor/Reporter
- Experience with broadcast equipment used during the production of live or taped newscasts
- Previous experience with live event sports production a plus
Qualified, interested applicants may go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqbqbz-44-197-230-180-42 in your application.