News Producer - WMC
WMC-TV, virtual and VHF digital channel 5, is an NBC-affiliated television station licensed to Memphis, Tennessee, United States. The station is owned by Gray Television. The station serves roughly the western third of Tennessee, northern Mississippi, eastern Arkansas and the southeastern corner of Missouri over the air, on satellite, and on various cable systems.
WMC-TV in Memphis, Tennessee is looking for a motivated, innovative and aggressive producer for our 10pm newscast. This producer needs to hunt for fresh and interesting content that holds the attention of our viewers - stories that stand out when marketed in primetime. This producer must be a creative writer and a meticulous fact-checker. This producer is a leader who energizes the 10pm team and also helps encourage and educate new producers. This producer must not only be adept at nightly newscasts, but severe weather and breaking news coverage. This is a great opportunity to grow in a dynamic news environment.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
- Responsible for the content and overall production of the local newscasts
- Oversee all details of the broadcast while working closely with all members of the news team
- Stack the rundown and manage the on-air broadcast from the control room
- Contribute story ideas for the newscast and work closely with reporters to execute those ideas
- Produce news content for all station distribution platforms – broadcast, digital, mobile
- Oversee and write the news briefs and daily promos when needed
- Respond quickly and aggressively to breaking news and getting information on the air
- Copy-edit reporter scripts as well as all newscast copy
- Edit video for multiple platforms
- Must work a flexible schedule when needed to cover other shifts and breaking news
- Field produce stories for the on-air newscast and other news content platforms
- Work cooperatively as a team member under tight deadlines.
- Ensure accuracy of and update information for the on-air news ticker/crawl system
- Teleprompter operation
- 2 years of experience as a producer in a top 125 market
- BS/BA in Journalism/Communications or equivalent background
- Flexibility with respect to scheduling and/or assigned work shifts
- Must be willing to work in Memphis, TN
Additional Job Requirements
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through http://raycommedia.com/careers to be considered
- Willingness to travel, work overtime, and on weekends with short notice (if applicable)
- Must be 18 years or Older
- Candidate must successfully complete pre-employment drug screen and MVR check
- Must be able to provide a reel/portfolio of work examples
- Must have unrestricted work authorization in the United States
Desired Characteristics/Desired Qualifications
- Knowledge and understanding of various media platforms, including broadcast, web and mobile
- Demonstrated ability of good news judgment and journalistic integrity
- Ability to write, edit, produce and gather content under heavy deadline pressure without compromising accuracy or credibility
- Ability to handle legal concerns pertaining to newscast content.
- Ability to develop content through social media and independent sources.
- Ability to interpret information to establish facts and determine truth.
- Basic understanding of Windows-based electronics and the ability to learn ENPS as well as new systems as they are implemented.
- Experience with news photojournalism and non-linear editing
- Act as a team player while displaying an ability to handle a variety of tasks, and make sound decisions in a fast-paced, deadline driven, stressful environment.
- Ability to interact with all levels of station and corporate management.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gp1q2o-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.