MMJ / Reporter - WMC
WMC-TV, virtual and VHF digital channel 5, is an NBC-affiliated television station licensed to Memphis, Tennessee, United States. The station is owned by Gray Television. The station serves roughly the western third of Tennessee, northern Mississippi, eastern Arkansas and the southeastern corner of Missouri over the air, on satellite, and on various cable systems.
Action News 5 in Memphis, Tennessee seeks an experienced MMJ/Reporter to join our award-winning team. The reporter will work closely with news managers and producers to create high-quality stories with integrity and facts.
The successful candidate will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
- Gather, shoot and edit pictures, video and sound for broadcast and online platforms
- Gathering data and relevant information on local and national newsworthy events
- Create and present accurate, fair, unbiased news content as assigned. Responsible for providing news and information across multiple platforms and to present content both inside WMC studios and remotely
- Must be visible in the community and make a reasonable amount of appearances in the local DMA
- Develop and maintain a network of news sources to create exclusive local news content.
- Stay current on both local and national news events
- The ability to interact professionally and effectively with all internal WMC employees and external organizations
- Responsible for maintaining all station gear including but not limited to; cameras, cellphones, tablets, laptops and any other gear assigned
- Responsible for maintaining station vehicle with regular auto detailing and maintenance checks
- Understand the editing process and all the technical aspects of Edius 8 editing software
- Use creative graphic and production techniques to enhance visual and audio story telling
- Able to work independently and use solid judgement on all stories, images and sound that is used within a news story
- Ability to work under pressure in a rapidly changing news environment
- Must be able to make decision quickly and accurately while coping with stress, resulting from a variety of circumstances
- Work cross functionally and cooperatively as a team member under tight deadlines.
- Contribute to and potentially lead projects within the team to continue to make our newsroom a world class operation
- 2 years of experience as a television reporter or multi-media journalist in a top 125 market
- BS/BA in Journalism/Communications or equivalent background
- Must be willing to work in Memphis, TN
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through http://raycommedia.com/careers to be considered
- Must be 18 years or Older
- Candidate must successfully complete pre-employment drug screen and MVR check
- Must be able to provide a reel/portfolio of work examples
- Must have unrestricted work authorization in the United States
- Must be flexible with respect to scheduling and willing to work extended hours, varying shifts (including nights, weekends and holidays, and sometimes on short notice) and report to work in emergencies depending upon news coverage when required
- Must meet physical requirements, including medium to heavy lifting and carrying camera equipment up to 50 pounds for extended periods of time
- Must be willing to work in all weather conditions
- Must understand ethical issues concerning stories and use appropriate journalistic guidelines
- Must have valid US driver's license
Desired Characteristics/Desired Qualifications:
- Ability to read and understand a variety of materials ranging from daily newspapers/news sites, professional journals, technical reports and legal documents.
- Ability to interpret information to establish facts and determine truth.
- Basic understanding of windows based electronics and the ability to learn ENPS as well as new systems as they are implemented.
- Act as a team player while displaying an ability to handle a variety of tasks, and make sound decisions in a fast-paced, deadline driven, stressful environment
- Demonstrated ability of good news judgment
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, high degree of integrity and professionalism
- Up-to-date on, and interested in, current local, regional and national news events
- Comfortable with emerging technology
- Ability to work well and communicate effectively with others
- Ability to perform under pressure in breaking news and deadline driven situations
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem resolution skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced, team-oriented environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7n56q-3-237-29-69-42 in your application.