WLTX-TV in Columbia, S.C. is looking for a journalist to join our team as Multi-skilled Journalist. In this role, you will develop story leads, pitch those stories, gather the content, write and edit your story for use across our broadcast and digital platforms.
The successful candidate for this position is dedicated to local storytelling and turning enterprise stories for newscasts. This person also has the instinct to follow-up on news tips, respond to breaking news in a timely manner and connect with community to develop contacts.
Strong writing skills and news judgment are a must. The desirable candidate also is a natural leader in our room; speaking up during editorial meetings, pitching unique story ideas gleaned from talking to people in the community and is a team player.
• Generate unique, compelling and innovative story/show ideas and content
• Excellent, creative presentation and writing skills a must
• Is strategic about the use of social media for news gathering, developing contacts and community engagement
• Knowledge on a range of topics from government to economic development, education to politics
• Ability to manage time properly to meet deadlines
• Contribute to multiple platforms on a daily basis including writing for the website, posting on social media, creating for mobile, and most of all creating a dialog with our audience and your friends and followers.
• Collaborate with a team to produce the most creative, compelling stories
• Develop contacts and relationships in the community
• Journalism or Mass Communication degree
• A reel/portfolio of examples of your work
• Excellent writing, packaging, and storytelling skills
• Ability to shoot and edit stories
• Knowledge of ENPS (scripting) and Edius (editing)
• Ability to meet deadlines and work in high pressure situations
Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
Work Environment Set: Moderate risk: involves moderate risks or discomforts that require special safety precautions
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 US markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqze01-18-206-92-240-42 in your application.