Assistant News Director - WKYT
WKYT-TV is home to the CBS and CW affiliates in beautiful Lexington, KY. The station sits amongst picturesque horse farms in the Thoroughbred Capital of the World.
The Lexington DMA provides a competitive news environment and WKYT has emerged as the news leader, producing over 10.5 hours of news per day. Our team of award-winning professionals thrive in a fast-paced, yet fun, environment.
Lexington is home to a thriving downtown scene, phenomenal restaurants and breweries, and, of course, Keeneland Race Course, the most beautiful horse track you'll ever visit. For outdoor enthusiasts, Red River Gorge and the Appalachian Mountains are calling your name. And in the summers, Lake Cumberland is just a short drive south to get your boating fix.
Lexington is home the University of Kentucky, where basketball is a way of life! Once you see a game at historic Rupp Arena, your life will never be the same!
WKYT in Lexington, KY is looking for an Assistant News Director. This position is responsible or assisting with leading the News Department and delivering top notch quality to our viewer.
Duties and responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Ability to lead and train news producers to create award winning newscasts
- Daily supervising content for clarity, fact-checking, and creativity.
- Must review scripts with reporters and producers, while coaching and encouraging to improve product.
- Assist with assignments, guiding reporters on stories and pitching story ideas daily.
- Keep organized records of news content daily.
- Able to make quick decisions and handle breaking news calmly and as a team leader.
- Must be able to multi-task, and oversee news on numerous platforms, including on air, digital, social, and OTT.
- Must be a team player who takes direction from News Director and is able to fill in in the absence of the News Director, maintaining a positive newsroom culture.
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum 3 years of experience.
- Skilled at working social media in conjunction with the daily news product to boost audience involvement.
- Strong copy-editing skills and news judgment, with working knowledge of journalism ethics, libel, and copyright laws.
- Strong planning and organizational skills are a must.
- Solid understanding of AP style writing.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, especially during breaking news, and fill in for producers when necessary.
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d52613-44-200-30-73-42 in your application.