WKRG-TV News 5, the Nexstar CBS television affiliate in Mobile/Pensacola, seeks a Director / Technical Director to join our team.
The Director / Technical Director is a key member of our broadcast / digital team.
This position leads the planning and execution of live and pre-recorded shows and segments distributed across all platforms including broadcast, digital streaming, and social media.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare and execute regularly scheduled live newscasts, digital streams, and social media streams
• Prepare and execute regularly scheduled pre-recorded shows and segments for news, weather, sports, marketing, and sales
• Prepare and execute live and pre-recorded special projects (including segments and shows) in-studio and on location
• Execute live breaking and continuous news and severe weather coverage with urgency, accuracy, creativity, and fluidity
• Regularly originate, ideate, choreograph, program, and execute novel showcasing elements utilizing sets, cameras, lighting, virtual reality elements, movement, graphics, video, and other production tools and assets available to enhance presentation and viewer appeal of all LIVE and pre-recorded newscasts, shows, streams, segments, and spots
• Ensure that all content produced meets company standards for production quality, accuracy, journalistic integrity, and timeliness
• Prepare, utilize, monitor, troubleshoot, and assist with the maintenance of studio equipment (i.e. cameras, microphones, IFBs, teleprompters, lights, etc.) and set elements (desks, platforms, furniture, props, etc.)
• Edit video for newscasts & television programs/segments/spots, digital distribution, and social media posts
• Communicate with clarity, calmness, and purpose with teammates in studio, at the station (in other departments), in the field, at regional and bureau locations, and in the national broadcast control hub
• Debrief and document the closed-captioning, accuracy, execution, and technical issues that occur during all productions and communicate same to team members involved in deliverables, quality control, and the maintenance and uptime of equipment, systems, and software
• Other duties and tasks as assigned
Experience & Education
• Hands-on experience as the director / technical-director of live newscasts, breaking news, and severe weather coverage very strongly preferred
• Experience in production, broadcasting, digital content, social media and/or journalism preferred
• Academic degree or technical certification(s) in Production, Digital Media, Social Media, Film, Journalism, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience preferred.
Required & Preferred Capabilities:
• Organized, technical problem-solver
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and make sound technical and editorial decisions in real-time
• Work well under pressure --- ability to handle breaking news and last-minute changes with aplomb
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Professional savvy and collegial demeanor when interacting with colleagues, clients, and members of the public
• Fluency in English
• Strong, candid knowledge of self & capabilities and display the willingness & ability to take action to learn, improve, and grow
• Ease with/ability to learn new technology independently and swiftly
• Able to work any shift
• Strong working knowledge of television production techniques and tools required
• Capability and confidence utilizing Ross Ignite and/or other automated production systems very strongly preferred
• Computer coding experience a plus
• Superior video editing skills required
• Mastery of Adobe Premiere Pro preferred
• Working knowledge of full Adobe Creative Suite a plus
• Ability to tune in and route SNG/ENG live-shots and other sources
• Working knowledge of media files manipulation, formatting, management, and storage
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, and other common office equipment
• Ability to utilize business software, i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams, etc.
• Valid driver's license required for hire. A clean driving record is required and must be maintained to be able to safely & confidently operate company motor vehicles.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Director / Technical Director must be able to stand, sit, reach, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and occasionally work outdoors with various weather conditions and indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
Must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment or items weighing up to 25 pounds with automation is necessary
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
• Ability to plan work schedules and assign duties; ability to provide or arrange for training
• Creative decision-making skills
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
• Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions
• Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials
• Knowledge of professional audio/video and staging techniques, facilities, and equipment
• Knowledge of audio/video tape storage and archiving procedures
• Knowledge of professional audio and/or video tape editing and post-production procedures, techniques, and standards
• Ability to formulate broadcast programming concepts and to plan, develop, and implement live and/or pre-recorded television programs
• Knowledge of television graphic design methods and techniques
• Knowledge of television production set design principles and techniques
• Knowledge of television programming concepts, principles, methodology, and techniques
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn0nw3-44-197-101-251-42 in your application.