WKRG-TV News 5, a dominant Nexstar CBS television affiliate in Mobile/Pensacola, seeks a Multimedia Journalist to join our news team in the Pensacola, Florida area.
The Multimedia Journalist will produce, report, shoot, write, voice, edit , feed , and present content for all media platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging , and meaningful to news consumers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Research/gather/analyze information, interviews, and video to produce accurate, complete, in-depth, relevant, and fair news reports for publication and broadcast
• Ensure that all content produced meets company standards for journalistic integrity, timeliness, and production quality
• Author strong copy with correct grammar, punctuation, editorial style, and formatting to meet the requirements of each digital, social, and on-air distribution platform
• Quickly solidify presence on all key beats and develop strong professional relationships with reliable sources
• Daily, pitch & break exclusive, enterprise news stories online, on social media channels, and on-air
• Produce/shoot/edit video and audio content of varying lengths/formats to meet the requirements of each digital, social, and on-air distribution platform
• Update and maintain online and social media presence to connect and converse with audience and generate story leads and content
• Report live online, on social media channels, and on-air
• Cooperate and communicate clearly, directly, and regularly with news teammates and other station departments
• Serve as an ambassador to the community by representing the station at community events and activities
• Produce special projects and other duties as assigned
Required & Preferred Capabilities:
• Strong news judgment and high journalistic integrity
• Low-to-zero call/approach reluctance --- ability to confidently engage with viewers, officials, those affected by stories, and others to cultivate story leads and information
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Professional savvy and collegial demeanor when interacting with colleagues and members of the public
• Superior on-camera presence and confidence
• Work well under pressure --- ability to handle breaking news and last-minute changes with aplomb
• Strong, candid knowledge of self & capabilities and display the willingness and ability to take action to learn, improve, and grow
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, or a related or complimentary field of study; or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience --- two-years of professional journalism experience preferred
• Flexibility to work any shift
• Mastery of AP writing style to author digital, social, and on-air content
• Confident and capable videographer who is able to gather compelling visuals, strong natural sound, and solid interviews with field video gear to produce visual storytelling
• Strong non-linear video editing skills required --- familiarity with Adobe Premiere video editing software preferred
• Ability to operate field live transmission unit essential --- TVU experience preferred
• Familiarity with ENPS rundown and story management system preferred
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Valid driver's license required for hire. A clean driving record is required and must be maintained to be able to safely & confidently operate company motor vehicles
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The MMJ must be able to stand, sit, reach, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and work outdoors with various weather conditions and indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
Must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment or items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmw292-52-23-219-12-42 in your application.