- Full Time
Job DescriptionWKBN 27 First News is looking for a self-starting, capital ''J'' journalist who loves telling stories about their neighbors.
This is a newsroom that will help you grow and learn both professionally and personally. We are a close group of individuals who enjoy helping each other deliver the best product to our viewers and web consumers.
The Youngstown coverage area is halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. You can enjoy a Browns or Steelers game after an hour drive in either direction. We're home to amazing wineries and the largest city park in Ohio, Mill Creek Metropark.
The position will create live and prerecorded stories for 3 network affiliates and the market's dominant digital news sources. MMJs are expected to shoot, edit, write, and produce. The MMJ is expected to be visibly involved in community activities.
We broadcast 11 hours a of live news every weekday, 4 ½ hours each weekend day. We believe in live coverage and expect multiple live shots on every shift. MMJs also get opportunities to fill in on the anchor desk.
The successful candidate will have a track record of working efficiently, multitasking, and troubleshooting to successfully meet challenging deadlines. You will excel at enterprising story ideas and developing sources.
Please be sure to include a link to your work in your resume.
JOB SUMMARY: Research, writing, capturing visual content, editing script and video, on-camera presentation of general assignment stories for multiple platforms.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produce content for multiple platforms, including TV, internet, mobile, etc.
• Work with management to enterprise and develop stories on a daily basis.
• Demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots and stand-ups, creative graphics, and use of digital and social media platforms.
• Organize material, determine angle or emphasis, and write story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
• Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation and research.
• Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
• Conflict management.
• Detail oriented.
• Demonstrate editorial judgment using knowledge of journalism ethics and libel laws.
• Strong on-air reporting, writing, and technical skills.
Education/Experience: Journalism Degree preferred (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education)
• Camera and camera equipment.
• Newsroom computer system.
• Video editing and transmitting equipment.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements:
Position requires the operation of camera, camera equipment, computer and editing machine, and transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1jm1v-18-232-31-255-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.