WJZY/WMYT, in Charlotte, NC is seeking an Assignment Desk/Digital Producer. This position reports to the Managing Editor and will be primarily responsible for gathering story info from various news sources, determining the newsworthiness and making decisions on what stories to cover and assign/dispatch crews. Must be aggressive and thorough in responding to breaking news. Research and select news stories through multiple sources including: news wires, websites, social media, newspapers, scanners and email. Responsible for daily communication with police and government officials and agencies. The incumbent must develop reliable sources to help in obtaining, and confirming information for newscasts. Secure and organize elements for newscasts such as electronic audio and video files, photos and documents. Must have broad working knowledge of online databases, as well as broad working knowledge of court and police procedures. Coordinate, dispatch and communicate with crews to planned and breaking news events. Work closely with reporters, producers and managers to develop stories and story ideas. Answer viewer calls and emails and speak with community contacts.
This position is also ideal for candidates interested in Digital & Social Media. They will write and post stories for all of our digital platforms. The Assignment Desk/Digital Producer will:
• Develop and lead winning strategy for station content
• Expert understanding of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms
• Reviews copy and will correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Use our Social Media and Website to build and reinforce brand recognition and drive viewers to television
• Determine a story's emphasis, length, and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Pitches on-brand local and trending stories during editorial meetings
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Finds new ways to use Social Media and our website to engage with viewers
The ideal candidate must be well organized, able to manage multiple projects and work well in a fast-paced environment while working under tight deadlines. Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Degree in journalism or communications; daily newspaper or news site experience required; live, working web samples and/or print pages preferred
• Proficiency in Associated Press style, Adobe Photoshop, and Basic HTML preferred
• Maintain positive work environment through active team participation and cooperation with co-workers in all departments
• Responds positively to feedback
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0neke-3-215-177-171-42 in your application.