WJAR, Southern New England's News Leader, is seeking an aggressive, energetic, and creative full-time News Assignment Editor! We are looking for an experienced assignment editor who knows how to make contacts, generate story ideas, and react decisively to breaking news. Candidates must have strong logistical skills and the ability to move crews strategically. We need someone with strong communication skills who can coordinate coverage and problem solve unforeseen obstacles. This person must be able to perform calmly and communicate effectively under pressure.
This position is full-time and will require working nights and weekends.
This person will manage all aspects of daily news coverage and write for various newscasts, including but not limited to:
• Assign and track news crews
• Identify and develop daily content
• Develop and maintain contacts and sources to enterprise story ideas
• Listen for and respond to breaking news
• Write and post content to station website and social media
• Compelling and accurate writing
• Assisting in the efficient operations of the assignment desk
Required skills and qualifications include, but are not limited to:
• Minimum of one (1) year of assignment desk experience
• Bachelor's degree in journalism preferred
• Commitment to journalistic standards of ethics and accuracy
• Ability to communicate effectively
• Basic computer knowledge/word processing skills
• General knowledge and interest in local, national, and world news
• Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
• Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, and emerging social media
Sinclair Broadcast Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn84j5-3-235-175-15-42 in your application.