WJAC-TV has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Sports Director. In this role, you will be required to oversee and produce daily content on a variety of platforms including our web pages and social networks, along with performing other duties as assigned by the news managers. We are looking for someone with a clear understanding of how to dig for a good sports story, research it, shoot it, write and edit it with an edge, using strong storytelling and TV production values to make it impactful and memorable. It is important to have strong writing skills and to have knowledge of all sports. Dynamic live television and storytelling skills are a must.
We are breaking the mold on what local sports is and you will lead the team. As sports director you will plan and coordinate coverage of sporting events from local teams up to Penn State athletics and everything in between.
We are adapting our approach that no longer relies on the sports team to anchor segments every day in the same old place, in the same old format. We want the sports team unchained from the anchor desk and shoot stories no matter the schedule. We want a sports team looking for local stories to lead newscasts and make multiple appearances throughout. We want to leave behind the highlight driven sports presentations.
You will lead the team in planning and daily communication with the newsroom staff on what content is available and where it's placed. You will work with management to develop a new, highly focused sports segment.
Skills and Experience:
• A self-starter and who can generate his or her own story ideas on a daily basis
• Ability to demonstrate enterprise sports reporting and creativity in storytelling
• Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to maintain an active social media presence to build your brand and solicit original story ideas
• Excellent shooting and editing abilities (preferably using Avid)
• Managing other staff as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Previous on-air experience is strongly preferred
• Must have at least 2 years of on-air experience
• Live shot experience is required
• Previous experience working in a team environment is a must
While applying online, please include a link to your online demo reel. Applications without a reel will be discarded.
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-req1v5-3-236-146-28-42 in your application.