News Producer - WIS
NEWS PRODUCER (PRIMARY) - WIS
WIS-TV has been the #1 ranked television station in the capitol city of Columbia, South Carolina for 67 years. WIS broadcasts to 41 of the state's 46 counties, making it truly ''South Carolina's TV Station''. WIS ranks as the #2 ranked NBC in the country (out of 253 affiliates). Among its many former notable on-air staff is NBC Today Show co-host Craig Melvin. Melvin, a Columbia native, got his start as a reporter and anchor for WIS. WIS is an award-winning news operation with over 60 Emmy nominations in the last 5 years. WIS is also the proud recipient of the prestigious Edward R. Murrow Award for Journalism Excellence and has been awarded South Carolina Broadcasters Association Station of the Year'' a record 16 times.
Our station's rich history of community service supports a diverse Midlands of South Carolina population and has dedicated our support of the state's many veterans (South Carolina is home to the most retired military veterans in the nation) in our ''Year of the Veteran'' initiative which honors and supports veterans many needs. Columbia is also home to Fort Jackson, the US Army's largest army installation for Basic Combat Training in the nation, and employers Blue Cross Blue Shield and Palmetto Health systems. WIS provides over 50 hours of live news per week for the viewers of South Carolina and is proud to have two broadcast icons in Judi Gatson and Rick Henry as reigning TV Anchor and TV Sportscaster of the Year. In 2019, WIS commissioned Columbia's CW on 10.2, which now provides a full schedule of programming and WIS newscasts, including a nightly 10pm newscast. The historic and iconic WIS building is located two blocks from the South Carolina Statehouse and just across the street from the sprawling University of South Carolina. Outdoor enthusiast relish the areas many golf courses that South Carolina has to offer along with boating and fishing on the large 50,000 acre Lake Murray recreational area in Lexington County. Lake Murray is the largest recreational reservoir in the world.
WIS Television, the #1 station and award-winning NBC affiliate in South Carolina's capital city, is seeking a newscast producer to join our team. We're looking for a journalist and storyteller who is a news junkie with a drive for producing engaging content for all platforms (digital and broadcast). WIS producers must be able to gather and showcase engaging, new, and shareable content. Our producers have strong roots in journalism, multitask under deadline, and can tell a story like they're talking to a friend.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but not be limited to):
• Create unique, emotional, creative shows with the idea that every show is a blank canvas for a new work of art
• Write and edit stories for broadcast and digital platforms
• Develop content and pitch stories
• Research facts and sources' credibility
• Use consumer analytics in determining content
• Write and post daily on digital platforms including social media
• Lead and inspire news teams to work together for memorable shows
• Coach and inspire on-air talent to be exciting and engaging
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
• 1-3 years of experience preferred, including supervision and leadership of other journalists
• Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
• Understanding the tenets of professional journalism
• Skills in producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content
• Strong social media skills with a nose for the stories that will go far
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
(Current employees that are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro employee portal)
WIS-TV/Gray Television Group, Inc. is a drug-free company
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3b0z5-3-231-217-107-42 in your application.