WHSV is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia situated in the Shenandoah Valley. We have been consistently honored for our journalism by the Associated Press and Virginia Association of Broadcasters. Our team produces nearly 30 hours of local news each week. We strive to bring our viewers the best content on all platforms. Harrisonburg is a thriving community located two hours from Washington, DC and Richmond. We are the area's ABC, CBS and FOX affiliates.
WHSV-TV is accepting resumes for a full-time multi-media journalist to work out of our Harrisonburg newsroom. The successful candidate will have a passion for storytelling, enterprising stories, and the ability to ad-lib during breaking news situations. You could be the right match if you love digging for stories on a beat system, knocking on doors, and getting the facts right! Must be a self-motivator, able to meet deadlines, have strong verbal and written communication skills, and demonstrate good news judgment and decision making. We're looking for someone who maintains a positive work environment. Must embrace reporting on the web and social media just as much as on-air. While you must be willing to work all shifts, this is primarily a position that reports weekends plus three days.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
• Write, shoot, and edit stories on your own for newscasts and website
• Post and regularly update stories and other material on the web
• Use social media sites (i.e. Facebook and Twitter) to report stories and interact with viewers
• Research, gather, & provide information in the most accurate, appealing, timely & creative way using all resources
• Develop and maintain sources of information and knowledge about assignments
• Participate in story selection process through meetings, and contribute story ideas daily
• Demonstrate sound news judgment, collaborate with others to present the story in the best way
• Present TV stories in alternative and creative ways that emphasize storytelling techniques
• Ability to lift 35-40lbs of gear
• Recognize that he/she is a high-profile representative of our news organization in the community and conduct himself/herself in a professional and cordial manner
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
Preferred 1 year previous news experience and previous live reporting experience • Ability to shoot and edit video, write scripts, and effectively communicate live on-air • While you are primarily on our Monday-Friday morning shift, flexibility in scheduling, to respond to the changing news landscape, is required • A degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent professional experience • Familiarity with non-linear editing, TVU, Sony ENG, Social Media • Valid Driver's License with good driving record. Employment is contingent on a pre-employment drug screen and motor vehicle background check
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6zvy0-34-236-187-155-42 in your application.