Multi Media Journalist - WHSV
WHSV is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia situated in the Shenandoah Valley. We have been consistently honored for our journalism by the Associated Press and Virginia Association of Broadcasters. Our team produces nearly 30 hours of local news each week. We strive to bring our viewers the best content on all platforms. Harrisonburg is a thriving community located two hours from Washington, DC and Richmond. We are the ABC, CBS and FOX affiliates in our market.
WHSV - Link - https://whsv.sharefile.com/share/view/s012bd085b1cc41ff8cac9f941400d44b
Love covering local news and sports stories on multiple platforms? WHSV in Harrisonburg, VA is searching for our next weekend sports anchor/news reporter.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
WHSV has an exciting opportunity as a Weekend Sports Anchor/News MMJ! This hybrid position allows the best of both worlds - news reporting two to three nights during the week and sports anchoring on the weekend! This is *NOT* an ''all sports'' job, however, on the sports side the ideal candidate will go beyond the highlights and tell compelling local sports stories, with attention to detail in every step of the process, from scheduling and shooting interviews, to video editing and script writing. You will cover James Madison University athletics, home of one for the top Division I FCS football programs in the country. High school sports also play a pivotal role in our coverage, with over 20 schools in our market. The ideal candidate will contribute to a weekly half-hour high school football show called ''EndZone'' every Friday night in the fall. During the school year, you will turn a weekly ''Student Athlete of the Week'' package which highlights a current high school senior. Our sports director is a seasoned veteran who's worked in larger markets covering Power Five athletics. Come work with the best! We've won (or been runner-up) the Virginia/West Virginia AP Broadcasters ''Sports Operation of the Year'' several years. Our sports director, news director and general manager agree - we're looking for someone who has a passion for LOCAL sports and isn't fixated on showing tired highlights of national sports. You must bring your passion of sports to the news reporting part of this job. If your true love is the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, PGA, NASCAR, etc. and you have no interest in local sports - or if you don't like the news reporting part of this job - or if you're not ready to bring your ''A game'' on social media - this isn't the right fit for you.
- Pitch and produce long-form local sports features on a regular basis
- Passionate for telling both news and sports stories
- Reporter for our weekly ''Student Athlete of the Week'' franchise
- Emcee of our ''Student Athlete of the Week'' spring banquet
- Shooting on Sony PMW cameras and editing on Edius
- Ability to run live shots via TVU
- Ability to use ENPS
- Extremely active and present on social media. Help take our social media activity to the next level
- Working in a high-pressure environment, meeting tight deadlines
- Work independently
- A Broadcast Communications/Journalism degree
- Must be willing to work all shifts including flexible weekend shifts
- Must be a self-motivator, able to meet tight deadlines, have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates good news judgment
- We've worked hard to make a winning culture at WHSV. You must have a positive ''team'' attitude. Must work well with others.
- Must be familiar with non-linear editing. Knowledge of Final Cut Pro and Premiere editing software is a plus
- Employment is contingent on a pre-employment drug screen and motor vehicle background check
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re8yn0-3-236-98-69-42 in your application.