Digital Content Producer / Reporter - WHSV
WHSV is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia situated in the Shenandoah Valley. We have been consistently honored for our journalism by the Associated Press and Virginia Association of Broadcasters. Our team produces nearly 30 hours of local news each week. We strive to bring our viewers the best content on all platforms. Harrisonburg is a thriving community located two hours from Washington, DC and Richmond. We are the area's ABC, CBS and FOX affiliates.
WHSV is searching for a Digital Content Producer/Reporter to lead our digital efforts! If you have a passion for all-things digital and are a ''news junkie'', we want to hear from you!
Do you love the idea of leading our digital efforts with a heavy hand in all-things web, social media, and streaming platforms? Do you consider yourself a ''news junkie''? This is a Monday-Friday position in our newsroom. Your day will begin by briefing the news team on the highest performing digital posts and web content from the prior day. From there, you are responsible for creating, reporting and updating content on all our digital platforms (web, app, social media, OTT/First Alert Desk) throughout the day. This includes sending push alerts and setting up live streams during breaking news which you would anchor over our OTT platforms. This position requires you to oversee social media efforts in the newsroom ensuring that all relevant platforms are getting the appropriate attention.
You will be the station-level expert on all digital systems that are used in the Gray workflow and a proponent of best practices within the newsroom. Must have a ''team player'' and winning attitude in our newsroom. You'll lead our state-of-the-art ''WHSV First Alert Desk'' which allows you to be on-camera. It's an excellent way to update viewers on breaking news as it happens - or just connect with them casually through the day. While this job requires you to be great on all-things digital, the Alert Desk allows you the freedom showcase your personality by hosting content on our streaming platforms.
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Lead the newsroom efforts in all-things digital. Keep our team updated on overperforming stories and provide feedback for ''best practices'' to grow our content digitally
- Must proofread and edit reporter content for digital platforms
- Oversee copyright policies for digital news product; responsibilities include gathering images and video from copyright-approved vendors
- Post and create accurate, fair and balanced content to our website WHSV.com; our app; social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Send push alerts on our app - Coordinate breaking news coverage with news director, producers, production team
- Communicate with producers, reporters, anchors about news you see on-line so we can get news not only on digital, but broadcast.
- Learn new digital technologies. Must be able to coach, teach and provide our news team training on those technologies.
- News department representative in station ''WebQC'' meetings where you'll update other departments in the station on trends, happenings, news in the digital space.
- Train new hires on all our digital platforms (i.e. how to post content to the web, social media)
- Live our brand ''Working Hard For You'' and continue to grow our already successful digital platforms. Help us take us to the next level digitally.
- News department liaison with Gray's 24/7 Digital Content Center. Communicate with Gray affiliates on content-sharing.
- Meet deadlines
- Work independently
- Create and produce informative segments on our First Alert Desk (requires you to be on-camera)
- A Broadcast Communications/Journalism degree
- Strong editing skills and a concise, journalistic writing style as well as the ability to respond swiftly to breaking news and unfolding events are a must
- While primarily a weekday shift, must be willing to work all shifts especially during times of breaking news
- Must be a self-motivator, able to meet tight deadlines
- Having strong verbal and written communication skills are a MUST!
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates good news judgment and decision making
- Maintain a positive attitude and work environment
- Employment is contingent on a motor vehicle background check
Come join our dynamic news team, go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqbp9z-18-207-157-152-42 in your application.