WGNO-TV in New Orleans , a #DigitalFirst operation with a focus on delivering local content 24/7 across all platforms is looking for an assertive, multi-talented person to serve as a Multimedia Journalist.
We're looking for a MMJ whose news gathering, storytelling, photography and editing skills stand out in a competitive, high-quality market. The successful candidate is a journalist who can enterprise and produce stories and news content on all platforms that viewers and digital users will not see anywhere else. This is a great opportunity for an established, skilled MMJ who wants to make the move to a top 50 market!
The Multimedia Journalist produces, reports, shoots, writes, voices, and edits content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging, and meaningful to news consumers.
• Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length, and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience, or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social, or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other social media platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Minimum two years' experience in news reporting (depending on market size)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d97kyz-52-23-219-12-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.