WGNO News in New Orleans has an immediate opening for an experienced, high energy, and highly skilled meteorologist to anchor our weekday morning news Good Morning New Orleans. This is an extremely rare opportunity in a great city with Tropical Weather disturbances.
We are looking for a sealed Meteorologist who is passionate about weather, tells a compelling weather story, and is part of a severe weather team during Tropical Storms and Hurricane coverage.
The successful candidate must know how to make the forecast presentable and interesting and love to produce weather in different ways. You should be able to produce creative graphics and make your show interesting, urgent, and impactful.
Not only do you have to be engaging on-air you must be extremely savvy with social media and web posting.
Knowledge of tropical meteorology and the Gulf Coast is a big plus.
• Anchoring weathercasts on weekday newscasts.
• Primary Traffic Reporter for morning newscast and Weather forecasting for 11am news.
• Contribute to and engage on all station social/digital platforms
• Superior on-air presence
• Contribute to partner radio stations
• Other duties as assigned
• Occasional live field reporting.
• College degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science or related field of study preferred
• Strong understanding of the field of Meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Certified Broadcast designation from AMS and/or NWA
• Ideal candidate will be familiar with WSI Max technology
• Minimum two years' experience as a Broadcast Meteorologist
• Must be proficient on all social media platforms
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
• Posting content to our web site and social media. Writes web stories detailing the local forecast, weather related stories and traffic issues daily.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule including nights, holidays, weekends & ON CALL shifts
• Must be able to work under deadlines and can multi-task.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.