Researcher / Assignment Editor, WFTS
WFTS, The E.W. Scripps Company ABC affiliate in Tampa, Florida, is looking for an Assignment Editor to join our team. The Assignment Editor will manage newsroom assignments, coordinate logistics, monitor news wires and scanners and vet social media channels for news tips.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Plan news coverage as directed by news management.
• Dispatch crews to stories and breaking news, using appropriate logistical and journalistic judgement.
• Make calls to news sources as needed, gain appropriate and actionable information.
• Assist in finding stories, doing research and tracking story ideas in assignment desk computer with emphasis on key brand points.
• Publish of online content.
• Monitor social media and tip emails and respond as a representative of the station to viewers.
• Utilizing incoming tips from the community (social media, email, phone calls), vet and pitch Voice of the Community stories.
• Perform other duties as needed and as directed by news management.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
• BS/BA in related discipline or equivalent years of experience
• Generally, 3+ years of experience in related field preferred
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
• Must be organized, self-starter who can work independently
• Basic computer skills; non-linear and production techniques
• Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
• Understanding of the principles of responsible journalism
• Ability to work well with others in a team-based environment
• Ability to write effectively
• May require weekend evening and weekend work
If you are a current Scripps employee, please do not apply on this site. Please access our internal career site at Worklife > My Info > View Open Positions at Scripps.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re3y41-100-26-196-222-42 in your application.