WFMY News 2 in Greensboro, NC is looking for a creative, driven and curious news reporter who can pitch, gather, write, edit and deliver their own stories, known in the newsroom as a ''Multi-skilled Journalist''. MSJs are a key part of the newsroom's coverage on both broadcast and digital platforms.
We need a Multi-Skilled Journalist to help add to the WFMY legacy, inspire change in our community and work with a dedicated team of journalists. We want someone who isn't afraid to tackle complicated topics, someone who doesn't just pitch stories straight from a news release and has the vision to broaden it out to show the larger context of why this story matters.
Most stories will be MSJ same day turns, while other times you'll be given more time to execute your vision, or pair up with one of our talented photographers.
The successful candidate is a team player and newsroom leader with excellent interviewing and writing skills, and proven ability to skillfully ad lib in any live situation.
Any candidate for this job should understand that WFMY's digital products are just as important as our broadcast product. We want someone who can write a great web story and be active on social media.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day.
• Develop and investigate leads and story ideas to pitch impactful, newscast-leading stories
• Enterprise daily and develop sources for general assignment and special areas of interest.
• Create web content, meet publication and broadcast deadlines, and report on newsworthy events.
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
• Write, shoot and edit news stories for all platforms and meet publication/broadcast deadlines
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field
• Experience as a reporter or multi-skilled journalist
• Must research, write and front creative, accurate stories on tight deadlines
• Experience with shooting video and editing software-familiarity with Edius and ENPS a plus
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Ability to work a flexible shift
Work Environment: Outdoors
Physical Demands: Light work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Outdoors: performed in various outdoor environmental conditions
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 US markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7wv9p-34-232-62-64-42 in your application.