WDSU-TV, the NBC affiliate in New Orleans, Louisiana, is looking for a Northshore Bureau Reporter that excels in breaking news and creates compelling live shots. We are looking for a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise reporting and we're looking for someone who finds the stories on the Northshore that lead newscasts. We are looking for someone is a self-starter and wants to truly be part of the community they are reporting on. This Reporter must live on the Northshore in order to be embedded in the community. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality, you are a reporter who isn't afraid to head out into the field and break the big stories. We are looking for this market's next leader who isn't afraid to ask the tough questions, and will hold those in power accountable. You are a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills. You will report to the News Director.
• Plan, gather and assemble stories from the Northshore on day-of news or special project assignments
• Ensure WDSU is aware of big community events to best represent the Northshore daily
• Work with a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound
• Coordinate with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
• Work with and guide reporters and producers in newscast production
• Develop a network of sources on the Northshore who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance
• Contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
• Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrate exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• 2-5 years past reporting experience
• Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
• Must live on the Northshore
• Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
• Strong writing and storytelling skills
• Operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
• Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
• Has a valid driver's license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record
• Work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
• Related military experience will be considered
At Hearst Television we tell stories every day. Stories about people of all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and identities. That's why, behind the scenes, we believe in being an organization as diverse and varied as the audience we reach, ensuring that the content we create is more compassionate, and more representative of the communities we serve.
Hearst's benefit programs are modern, flexible and designed to focus on you. As a Hearst employee, you and your spouse or partner or dependents would have access to the following benefits.
• Medical | Dental | Vision
• 401(k) matching
• Emotional Wellness Support
• Paid Time Off
• Paid Parental Leave
• LGBTQ+ Health Services
• Additional benefits to meet your and your family's needs
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy52zq-18-207-129-175-42 in your application.