WCVB NewsCenter 5 has an opening for an energetic, self-motivated Assignment Editor who is looking to contribute her/his skills and energy to Hearst Television's legacy Boston station. We are seeking someone to capture the essence of what's happening in the field and ultimately deliver it in dynamic fashion to our viewers. This position is the primary lead of the weekend Assignment Desk and covers various desk shifts throughout the week, including main dayside Assignment Editor and main nightside Assignment Editor. The ideal candidate will be intuitive and proactive when it comes to workflow and news cycles, someone who can be decisive and patient during breaking news, and excited for the challenges of contributing to a vibrant news operation. This person will be tasked with utilizing best practices, thinking through challenges, managing viewer calls, and most importantly, finding distinctive enterprise stories that set us apart.
• Listening to multiple police scanners which cover more than a dozen agencies throughout our market (must have great ''scanner ears'')
• Gathering and organizing press releases, emails, phone calls, and viewer tips and then leading the way in prioritizing which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts
• Assisting news management with content gathering and planning
• Assisting producers, digital editors and reporters with story gathering
• Keeping track of and maintaining communication with multiple field crews
• Providing content and posting it to all digital platforms, including but not limited to the WCVB app, Twitter, and Instagram
• Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology including video transfer platforms
• Advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media
• Familiarity with police scanner communication is preferred
• Must be highly organized
• Have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously
• Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers
• Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to the news production team including managers, producer, photographers, and reporters
• Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high pressure breaking news and weather environment
• Ability to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations
• Excellent communication skills.
• Willing to work a variety of shifts including weekends and nights
• Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2y6w2-18-208-187-128-42 in your application.