WCMH-TV in Columbus Ohio is looking for a full-time Assignment Editor to work on the continuous news desk. College degree and knowledge of central Ohio preferred.
• Dispatching reporters, photographers, and other personnel to cover stories and communicating the editorial and operational needs of the assignment desk to those personnel. Is also responsible for making sure nbc4i.com and our mobile properties are updated with the latest information from our continuous news desk.
• Setting up news stories, gathering facts of stories, responding quickly and effectively to breaking news
• Able to work flexible hours (early mornings, evenings and weekends).
• Able to handle a high-pressure environment and handle multiple tasks under strict guidelines. Must have excellent organizational skills.
• Able to break stories, work contacts and react quickly and aggressively to breaking news.
• A self-starter, with good telephone skills, excellent organizational skills, strong news judgement and good instincts.
• Coordinating live remote inside and outside the building.
• Story and series planning, with close coordination of Producer and other members of newsroom management.
• Working with news sources to gather information and develop sources.
• Working with reporters and producers to develop stories and story sidebars.
• Make beat calls and maintain daily file (including updating ongoing stories). In limited cases, may need to operate a Live truck to a scene, drive to the police station to retrieve a 911 tape or go to the courthouse for search warrants. Answer phones, monitor police and emergency scanners and digital/printed sources for news.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Minimum two years' experience in news operations
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Flexibility to work any shift
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro3p43-3-215-177-171-42 in your application.