WBTV was the first television station to sign on in the Carolinas and is considered the ''most trustworthy source of news and information'' in the area according to research. WBTV First Alert Weather is the certified most accurate forecast for the market as measured by WeatheRate. Being ''On Your Side'' for viewers, clients and the community is the guiding principle of WBTV and helps drive its award-winning newscasts and quality local journalism. Visit www.wbtv.com to learn more.
The Assistant News Director is responsible for making sure the department is delivering high-impact local news content, innovating multi-platform storytelling, and creating tactics and strategies to increase ratings performance in key target areas for multiple platforms. The ideal candidate must have strong editorial judgment, leadership skills, a working knowledge of community issues and needs, and demonstrate sound journalistic principles. The Assistant News Director collaborates with the News Director to execute a yearly action plan based on market research and WBTV's strategic planning goals.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Responsible for the day-to-day news editorial decision-making and long-term planning of news content across all platforms.
- Oversees the development, production, and scheduling of our targeted special reports, which includes enterprise reporting.
- Experience with rating analysis and a strong understanding of how to implement a new action plan based on market research.
- Proactively and effectively coordinates and communicates big event coverage plans such as elections, debates, and community-based special projects.
- Supervises and schedules personnel including on-air talent
- Responsible for recruiting and retaining top talent
- Forward-thinking leader who helps execute branding initiatives across all platforms
- Collaborates with all station departments, media partners, and community leaders
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred, equivalent experience considered
- Minimum 3 years of management experience required, 5 years preferred
- Must exhibit an understanding of broadcast, digital, social, and streaming platforms
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter, and references
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
WBTV-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior by the first workday.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3w36n-3-237-31-191-42 in your application.