Salt Lake City, UT
Avalanche, a division of WB Games Inc., is looking for a Cinematics Lighting Artist to join the team working on our upcoming game Hogwarts Legacy, a new open world, action RPG set in the Wizarding World.
The Cinematics Lighting Artist is responsible for creating exceptional lighting for in game levels and cinematic sequences. This is an individual contributor position and requires a full understanding of core real world lighting principles, atmospherics, color composition, value composition and material properties. The lighting artist will effectively apply the necessary core artistic fundamentals of a AAA real time game presentation to enhance the mood, tone, look and feel of game levels and cinematics. The lighting artist should have a solid understanding of materials and shader development with an ability to work with the art team to maximize the quality of the world and character presentation.
A portfolio demonstrating real time and pre-rendered lighting samples is required. Traditional and/or digital paintings demonstrating an ability to create compelling and dramatic scenes is a plus.
• Responsible for implementing production tasks that establish and define the core lighting for a AAA multiple sku game in accordance with the style guide and under the direct guidance and direction of the Director of Art/Principle Lighting Artist
• Participate in weekly art meetings, communicate the weekly planning and review of current work in progress
• Address assigned bugs, as well as submitting relevant bugs as they pertain to lighting
• Work in a supportive manner to help other members of the lighting team where applicable
• Work with lighting staff and tech artist to ensure that lighting content meets performance standards
• Effectively communicate with all members of the art team both orally and written
• Participate in R & D towards the development of improvements in lighting pipelines and quality of game presentation
• At least 5+ years' experience in the gaming industry
• At least 2 published games preferably 1 PS4 and XboxOne
• A strong understanding of basic lighting principals and the fundamentals of digital application
• Strong understanding of color theory and practical lighting concepts
• Experience with materials/shaders and their relationship to light
• Wide understanding of lighting/rendering technologies (pre-render and real-time rendering, Global Illumination, Ray-Tracing, HDR, Photon Mapping, etc.)
• Strong understanding of 3DS Max (or a leading 3D modeling package) and Photoshop
• A fundamental understanding of technical topics and capability to implement them into workflows
• Strong background in traditional art skills
• AA/BFA degree is preferred