WATE-TV, 6 On Your Side the ABC Affiliate in Knoxville, Tennessee is looking for a Multimedia Sports Journalist who is passionate about great storytelling. The ideal candidate must be an aggressive reporter with high journalistic standards who is able to work independently, generate lead story ideas, work a beat and produce innovative content for on-air, online and social media. Must be a strong writer, excel at shooting great video, and be a creative editor. Good communication skills are also a must. Two years of experience is preferred. A background covering general assignment/breaking news is a plus.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Reports sports stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events.
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories.
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects in order to isolate pertinent facts and details.
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions.
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community.
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas.
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions.
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts.
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements.
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports.
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms.
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Comprehensive knowledge of sports and sports related activities.
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Minimum two years' experience in sports reporting or anchoring. (More or less depending on market size.)
• Superior on-air presence
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating others
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Sports Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Sports Anchor Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rnk2b1-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.