WATE and WATE.com in Knoxville, TN is looking for a dynamic, energetic alert desk anchor/MMJ. The right employee will be part breaking news anchor, part MMJ and part web producer. We need someone who can ad-lib very well throughout numerous hits during several newscasts, get breaking news up quickly (including video, live cameras, supers, graphics and social media), and be able to use sources to confirm stories quickly.
The ideal candidate must have strong on-camera presence, exceptional news judgment and robust experience producing digital content in a high-pressure television news environment. They must be able to closely collaborate with a team while being able to work independently.
Must bring enterprise, research-driven stories to the table daily when there is not breaking news. The best candidate will be able to maintain urgency when needed in the newscast and be organized off-air to help with the website and social media.
EOE/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED., Background check required. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Primary job duties (include but are not limited to):
• Must have bachelor's degree in journalism/communication or equivalent background
• Must be willing to train on the digital desk and use daily
• Prefer 2 years prior on-air experience in a newsroom
• Prioritize, organize, and produce individual on-air hits newscasts following the station brand and goals
• Must have the ability to develop content through cameras, traffic websites, national feeds, affiliates and independent sources
• Responsible for writing clearly, concisely and very conversationally
• Must be able to clearly ad-lib during all on-air hits
• Must be able to multi-task – produce your hit on-air, write stories for the website and social media
• Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts
• Accurate video editing with an eye for visual elements and graphics that make stories understandable to the viewer
• Responsible for developing original story ideas for daily newscasts
• Work with producers and assignment desk on story treatment, and be able to accurately gather information for news stories under pressure
• Able to accurately and calmly handle decision-making processes, research social media posts and story ideas under heavy deadline pressure without compromising accuracy or credibility
• Must possess excellent communication and organizational abilities, including working with the news director and executive producer to ensure story accuracy, and to determine the best presentation of reports
• Must be able to shoot and edit yourself using small tech gear
• Must be able to use ENPS (or train to) for scripting, including graphics and supers
• Responsible for creating a unique approach to all digital elements for the newscast, website and social media
• Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evening, weekends, and holidays as needed
• Demonstrate good news judgment and journalistic integrity
• Ability to maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community
• Performs other incidental and related duties as assigned and attention to detail is required
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Must have the desire to be at work during big breaking news, weather coverage and special event coverage
• Must be willing to cover big breaking news events in the field live
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rbo84k-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.