The Director of Coverage is responsible for overseeing daily national news coverage generated from the West and Midwest regions for CNN. This key leadership position will cover nightside hours working in close coordination with the network's National and Digital News desks ensuring that CNN's multi-platform reporting efforts are accurate, urgent, and presented with clarity and context. The role requires rapid response to breaking news, assigning reporting and resources in coordination with regional and national news editors, and strong copy-editing skills.
The position requires daily contacts with regional bureaus and field teams to make sure editorial priorities are being addressed and communicated to CNN platforms. Also, the Director of Coverage is responsible for the day-to-day regional planning process working hand-in-hand with managers in Los Angeles, Chicago, and Atlanta to make sure the right staff and resources are being assigned to the right stories.
• Responsible for coordinating daily editorial output for the region working collaboratively with the National and Digital news desks; offering editorial guidance and pitching stories that resonate with CNN's online audience.
• Identifies and conceptualizes distinct reporting lines, working closely with news desk editors, producers, and reporters to bring stories to life.
• Provides editorial guidance to the LA Desk staff by setting priorities for news coverage and responding rapidly to breaking news in coordination with regional and national news editors.
• Edits and disseminates news alerts on tight deadlines.
• Oversees the performance and development of LA desk staff, ensuring the reporting generated is presented sharply and concisely.
• Collaborates on news planning in the region in coordination with regional managers, planning producer and national planning and enterprise departments.
• Oversees scheduling of LA Desk staff, often coordinating coverage with the National Desk
• Shares weekend on-call duties with other regional managers
• Leads people efforts within team as it relates to talent acquisition, performance management, development and creating a diverse and high performing culture.
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Television-Film Production, Communications, or related discipline or equivalent in work experience
• 8+ years of working in a newsroom
• 3+ years of experience leading a team
• Experience leading an assignment desk and/or supervising the creation and editing of daily news content for digital platforms.
• Excellent communicator and collaborator with a highly developed editorial sense and sharp story-editing skills
• Deep understanding and passion for covering the unique issues affecting life in California and the West, creatively seeking new ways to elevate stories from the region to a national audience
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d97b7m-34-239-160-86-42 in your application.