Producer, Digital International
Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
For more than 40 years, International News has been right at the very heart of CNN.
Our teams have reported on all of the most important and historic events around the globe. But never has CNN's role been more crucial than today as the world continues to grapple with COVID. Millions of people look to us for truthful information in a world where so much fake news abounds.
The APAC region is at the centre of the global news agenda. China's position in the world and its growing influence is having a huge impact – and that will continue to grow as the years progress. The Director of Coverage job in APAC gives you the opportunity to craft CNN's reporting on some of the most important, interesting and challenging stories of our time.
We are looking for a second Director of Coverage to be based in our Hong Kong newsroom. Our ''Follow the Sun'' strategy means you will be responsible for running CNN's coverage, not only in Asia, but across the world for key parts of the day. You'll make important coverage decisions, decide deployments and give editorial leadership to the Television and Digital platforms. You will also be expected to lead our correspondents in generating distinctive, award winning content. This role reports to the VP & Bureau Chief in Hong Kong.
• Responsible for Newsgathering in APAC, give editorial, logistic and security guidance and support to reporters, producers and cameramen in the field.
• Responsible for future planning, breaking news deployment and organization and execution of large events
• Overall editorial quality control on all aspects of international newsgathering submitted from around the globe - in story selection, scripting and quality of shooting/ editing.
• Review and approve story pitches.
• Work closely with counterparts across the newsgroup to discuss and execute on coverage needs.
• Along with the other DOCs, will be accountable for management of the international newsgathering budget, responsible for keeping newsgathering spend within projections.
• Be the senior point of contact between the US and EMEA International Desk and APAC field teams.
• Will also be accountable for the continued integration of TV and digital newsgathering, working closely with those heads of department in APAC.
• A proven track record of first-class editorial ability is essential. Program production and/or digital production experience is desirable
• Technically articulate and skilled in video
• Engaged in digital and social media
• Seasoned experience of international newsgathering operations is essential, as is management experience.
• Knowledge and interest in international affairs (specifically Asia)
• Conversant with media industry developments
• Degree or equivalent experience
• Versatile field-based experience, including all-platform field production
• Knowledge of CNN internal systems
• Foreign language skills are desirable but not essential
• Experience of growing and nurturing team members with an emphasis on succession
• Experienced leader; proven experience of managing, ideally a team, and preferably remote management experience
• Strong at prioritising
• Break down silos and build partnerships
• Excellent communicator, make proactive communications a priority
• Recognizes likely causes of events and consequences of actions
• Anticipates and prepares for opportunities/problems that are not obvious to others
• Takes personal responsibility and accountability for addressing and resolving problems
• Proven crisis management; makes and acts on decisions in the face of inconclusive/conflicting information
• Takes personal responsibility for mistakes, failures, shortcomings
• Uses appropriate flexibility when applying rules/procedures to accomplish organization's larger objectives
• Changes own behaviour or approach to suit the situation
• Proven news judgement
• Creative storyteller
• Highly organized manager
• BA/BS in Journalism, Television-Film Production, Communications or related discipline
• 8-10 yrs. experience working in a newsroom
• 7+ yrs. experience in management of staff
• Field experience including package production
• Strong editing skills
• The desirable candidate will possess: Knowledge of CNN internal systems
• Strong leadership qualities: able to lead a diverse group of individuals, often under the stress of breaking news
• Communication skills: able to communicate clearly and concisely about news developments & able to give clear direction to staff/network about course of actions
• Strong decision-making skills: the successful candidate will be able to quickly size up a situation and make a reasonable and sound decision
• Management Skills: ability to lead and motivate a large team
• Excellent command of the English language; other Asian or foreign languages are very beneficial
Travel: This job may require travelling to other countries in Asia and around the globe
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq5n6m-3-236-55-22-42 in your application.
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.