Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs (6 month fixed-term contract)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The position will provide legal advice and related support to Warner Bros. International Television Production Australia Pty Limited (''WBITVP'') local production business in Australia.
The position will be responsible for and assist with all legal matters arising throughout programme production (from development through to broadcast, other exploitation, including digital and social media, and subsequent distribution) across a broad and dynamic slate of non-scripted and scripted programming (including documentaries, specialist factual, factual entertainment, game shows and ''shiny floor'' studio-based entertainment).
The position works in a small team based in WBITVP's Sydney office and is part of a larger team of lawyers within Warner Media and Warner Bros. International Television that are based in London and Burbank, California.
WBITVP is part of the Warner Bros. International Television group of production companies which currently operate in 15 countries around the world, including Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden and UK (''WBITVP Group'').
WBITVP has the exclusive rights of all WBITVP Group television formats including non-scripted and scripted formats of all key genres. Key brands that WBITVP are currently representing include The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, The Masked Singer, Dancing with the Stars, The Apprentice, First Dates, and Who Do You Think You Are?.
• To draft and advise on agreements for the development and production of programming, including development agreements; format option or license agreements; commissioning or programme license agreements; production and co-production agreements; talent and other contributor agreements; access agreements, location, studio and production services agreements; and rights releases, permissions or licenses; and non-disclosure agreements.
• To advise production executives on rights issues and clearance issues, and to assist with the preparation of production protocols and guidance notes for production teams on key areas, such as child performers, privacy, foreign filming locations, foreign work visa requirements, workplace health and safety and Covid Safe Plans, programme participants' welfare and WBITVP's Duty of Care Protocol.
• To assist with management of disputes, claims and complaints from contributors, broadcasters, viewers or other parties.
• To assist with, draft and negotiate agreements related to the exploitation of ancillary rights including digital and social media.
• To advise on copyright, trademark and privacy law matters.
• To advise and conduct due diligence on potential local partners and counterparties to ensure compliance with applicable anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws and trade and economic sanctions including the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth), US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the UK Bribery Act, OFAC and EU sanctions.
• To perform other related business and administrative duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
• 3 + years post-qualification experience
• Experience in production or programme rights acquisitions essential
• Experience gained with an Australian production company, broadcaster or a major law firm preferred
• Experience and working knowledge of the Australian broadcasters' terms of trade is preferred.
• Strong background in copyright law and of the ownership of rights in content and underlying material is preferred
• Qualified solicitor
• Proficient in Microsoft Office 365, specifically Word, Excel, SharePoint and Outlook
• Strong organisational skills with ability to manage multiple priorities and the ability to take initiative
• Must have ability to handle multiple tasks and meet conflicting deadlines in short timeframe
• Must have excellent attention to detail and ability to work well under pressure
• Must have excellent drafting skills
• Must have excellent communication skills and be able to explain complex issues simply, clearly and tactfully
• Strong decision making and problem-solving capabilities
• Must be agile and willing to learn in a fast-paced and growing business
• A strong team player who contributes to an environment that embraces constant change and innovation
• An infectious enthusiasm for the television sector