Your New Role…
This is a role for a news junkie who wants to be at the center of the biggest domestic stories of the day. This journalist is a best-in-class breaking news writer who thrives on the breakneck pace of deadline journalism. The ideal candidate is a strong writer and collaborator with top-notch news judgment. You will cover breaking news in real time as a part of CNN Digital's National desk. We're light, agile and obsessed with producing strong, accurate and timely journalism.
Your Role Accountabilities…
• When a big domestic story breaks, you'll take the lead in starting and updating coverage for CNN's digital platforms.
• You'll also update stories that break across shifts.
• You'll work closely with newsgathering desks and digital editors to keep us sharp and fast on breaking news.
• A critical component of the job will be assisting with the live stories that are an essential part of our breaking news coverage.
• You must care deeply about accuracy, urgency and integrity and in maintaining and growing the trust CNN has with audiences worldwide.
• CNN's writers are skillful and swift. They turn in clean, crisp copy on the first draft.
• This journalist will often help shape story ideas and angles around complex topics and will pitch and execute stories on their own.
• This person knows how to write briefly and breezily when needed but can also handle high-concept stories off the news.
• This person must be skilled at finding ways to cover the news of the day in distinctive ways that resonate with audiences.
Qualifications & Experience…
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends. This is a PM role, with a schedule that will include Saturdays or Sundays.
• At least 3 years of digital storytelling experience.
• Experience covering fast-moving breaking news.
• Ability to frame stories for a national audience.
• Your great ideas: A newsroom is only as strong as the stories its journalists find and pitch. We want your absolute best.
• College degree or equivalent.
• Warner Bros. Discovery requires anyone working in our workplaces in the US to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions to this vaccine requirement are available to those entitled to reasonable accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rebz20-44-213-63-130-42 in your application.