- Full Time
As Equals is a cross-platform CNN initiative dedicated to publishing challenging, engaging , human - interest or data - driven stories about gender inequality globally – stories that point to the root causes of inequality.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record
of covering impactful stories about gender inequality and will be responsible for reporting and producing stories on this subject across CNN's platforms, with a n e mphasis on digital. The reporter will be primarily focused on substantial enterprise and investigative reporting that shape the news agenda, rather than simply reflect it. They should also be able to write analysis , explainers and solutions stories
on gender inequality.
In addition to working on their own stories for the series , the successful candidate will also work collaboratively with freelancers and other CNN journalists to bring compelling and important stories from India and South , and South east Asia to a global audience. (As Equals reporting focuses on low and middle-income countries but spans the global if the site of wrongdoing affecting women in the South is elsewhere else .)
As Equals is financial support ed by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Th at grant ends on 31 December, 2024 and so this role is a fixed - term contract , working solely on this team, for the remaining duration of the funding period .
What will you be doing?
• Sources, reports and produces mainly enterprise stories
on gender inequality
• Collaborates with designers, developers, video editors etc to produce world - class digital storytelling that goes far beyond written journalism
• Build s networks with gender civil society, academia and policymakers, and m onitors and stays across c urrent conversations around gender inequality in India and the rest of the region
• Takes complicated, dense
or sensitive subjects and themes and reports them in a way that draws in a loya l and returning audience . Is able to uncover underreported issues of global resonance
• Contributes to discussions in the newsroom to help improve gender coverage by all teams at CNN
• Represents the series in India and Asia for the series when needed
What do you need from you?
• Is passionate about gender inequality and c an show substantial previous reporting
• Is excellent at pitching, developing ideas and turning broad thoughts into sharp story ideas
• Is able to work remotely from the rest of the series team and be energized and self-motivated to do so
• Can move easily between different formats, for example : feature s, to analysis, or data-led interactive
• Has a deep contact book of sources related to covering gender inequality in South and South east Asia
• Files excellent copy and is prepared for a robust editing process
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Has a strong interest in collab orative and solutions journalism
• A good understanding of contemporary digital (and especially mobile) audiences and storytelling
• Multilingualism would be beneficial
• Understanding of journalistic standards and media law
• University/college degree not a requirement
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw22y2-44-197-101-251-42 in your application.
Find More Jobs Like This
Warner Bros. Discovery
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.