Software Development Engineer
Warner Bros. Discovery
Who We Are
Warner Bros. Discovery, a premier global media and entertainment company, offers audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, streaming and gaming. The new company combines WarnerMedia's premium entertainment, sports and news assets with Warner Bros Discovery's leading non-fiction and international entertainment and sports businesses.
For more information, please visit www.wbd.com
What you'll do
As Observability engineers you are passionate about using software-based approaches to solve complex data-driven challenges and automate those solutions. Within our organization, you'll lead efforts aimed at scaling our existing operational data offerings and establish the technical strategy for how we can better equip engineers and leaders with operational intelligence. You'll build a deep understanding of our digital streaming service and use that knowledge, coupled with your engineering, infrastructure, data and cloud knowledge, to optimize and evolve how we understand our technical ecosystem.
To be successful, you'll need to be deeply technical and capable of holding your own with other strong peers. You possess excellent collaboration and diplomacy skills. You have experience practicing infrastructure-as-code, standing up logging and metrics data pipelines, site reliability engineering, DevOps, and data lake management. In addition, you'll have strong systems knowledge and troubleshooting abilities.
An ideal candidate will be a creative thinker and passionate about technology as well as drive innovation and produce delightful experiences for customers. This person will demonstrate data-driven open minded decision making, have an insatiable curiosity, love to invent and innovate to solve difficult challenges in a fast-paced global environment.
If you love solving problems at scale, prefer to build scalable, reliable, and testable software to automate infrastructure management, are an ace troubleshooter, and are deeply technical, then this is the role for you!
Play a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing observability platforms, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers.
Work with internal customers and stakeholders to drive the design, development and support of our Observability platform.
Work on providing a highly automated infrastructure for ingesting, processing, storing, retaining, analyzing and visualizing petabytes of operational data.
Develop software and tooling to facilitate greater automation and operability of services.
Make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
Provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
Utilize your deep experience and problem solving skills to help prevent and investigate production issues as well as participate in a shared on-call rotation.
Self-driven & motivated, with a strong sense of ownership, work ethic, and a passion for problem solving.
• At least 6 years of overall experience in software, systems, and infrastructure.
• At least 3 years of experience managing public cloud infrastructure with AWS, including design, implementation, and maintenance of large scale environments.
• Strong knowledge and implementation history of Terraform and/or other similar tooling.
• Deep understanding of distributed systems, microservice architecture, kafka, logging/metric/tracing platforms (ELK, Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger etc), and security.
• Experience with container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes or AWS EKS is strongly desired.
• Must have the legal right to work in the Europe
• Experience with a variety of cloud services like Elasticsearch/OpenSearch, Kinesis, AMP, network, storage etc.
• Strong software development skills in languages such as Go/Java/Python. Must have CS fundamentals and a track record of implementing highly reliable software.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Can effectively communicate vision and plan with the audience.
• Experience in working across product, engineering, and analytics teams to evaluate new ideas, discuss technical concepts, create scalable designs, implement new models, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, disability or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d83x59-44-200-171-156-42 in your application.