Environment Designers visually explore and collaborate in the creation of animated worlds and their interior logic through the depiction of design ideas, dramatic story moments, mood and tonal pieces, and prop and vehicle designs that all serve a firm's storytelling. Artists also prepare technical designs for downstream departments including technical orthographic drawings, breakdowns, and full render texture reference to inform the art direction of downstream departments.
We're looking for Environment Designers who have a rich imagination, a sense of whimsy and appeal, stylistic versatility, and masterful drawing and painting skills. Expertise in design, perspective, color, architectural and organic forms, and a general knowledge of the CG process are also key skills in breathing life into our worlds. The ability to work both traditionally and in digital media including 3d is appreciated. We welcome artists who will bring fresh and unexpected viewpoints to our filmmaking and our team. We encourage and embrace original thinking and passion.
To apply for this position you must upload a portfolio and a resume consisting of your environment design work.
What You'll Do:
• Design inspiring worlds and moments based on a director's vision
• Execute detailed technical drawings to expedite collaboration with other departments in the pipeline
• Know your research and inspire through your art
• Work collaboratively and take direction
• Proficiency in Photoshop
• Professional experience required, feature animation experience preferred
• Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
Portfolios Should Include:
• Paintings and environment designs that demonstrate stylistic versatility and a strong understanding of specificity, storytelling, observation, mood, clarity, staging, color, perspective, and appeal
• Drawings of narrative moments, character and environment interactions encouraged
• Observational studies
• If any of your work is password protected, please include the password with your application (even if just included on your resume)
• Social media accounts may be submitted as a supplement to your portfolio but should not be your primary portfolio (websites or multipage PDF files submitted via a Google drive preferred)
WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019's Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g67jq8-54-227-97-219-42 in your application.