The CFX Supervisor plays an integral role in the production team. They will oversee and mentor a group of CFX Artists to deliver final character performance including geometry cleanup, cloth, and hair simulation. They will supervise a team of artists, and work with the Head of CFX to realize the Director's vision. This is a regular, full time, staff position that will be located at our Vancouver, BC studio. Please note that relocation eligibility may be determined based on role and individual circumstance.
• Create and foster a tight relationship between CFX Artists, General TDs, Animators, and Lighting artists.
• Run CFX dailies; provide direction for cloth & hair simulation performance as well as shape cleanup.
• Maintain consistency of deliverables to both artistic and technical standards.
• Work directly with the Animation Supervisor to achieve required performance and aesthetics.
• Ensure that checks are implemented and maintained as necessary to ensure CFX workflow and data integrity.
• Partner with Effects Supervisors to coordinate tight character, simulation, and effects interaction.
• Partner with Lighting Supervisors to address necessary fixes.
• Responsible for consumability and efficiency of artist deliverables into downstream departments.
• Participates in department processes, bidding, and reviews.
• Assesses resource needs and collaborates with department leadership in helping find staffing solutions.
• Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice, and addressing bias when it occurs.
• Guides the creative and technical vision/expectations for the team members.
• In tight conjunction with the Head of CFX, Production Management, and Department Manager, inspires and motivates the team.
• Contributes to the overall craft and development of team members through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition, and accountability.
• Models and fosters a collaborative work environment between individuals on the team and across departments.
• Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other supervisors.
• Provides regular updates to direct leaders on the progress, health, and direction of the team.
• Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates.
• Studio Culture- Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels.
• Technology, Tools, and Workflow- Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions, and workflows to support the department, show, and studio.
• Department Stewardship- Partners closely with peers and Department Manager support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists.
• Minimum 2 years of leadership experience that demonstrates a strong ability to lead and mentor others.
• Experience as a CFX Supervisor, Technical Animation Supervisor, or similar role in CG Animation.
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools and workflows as they relate to the discipline you would be leading.
• Understanding of the disciplines/craft which they would be leading
• Strong understanding of the filmmaking process, principles of animation, and show pipelines and workflows.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Ability to present ideas and to communicate clearly with artistic and studio leadership.
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment, taking as well as giving direction with tact.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Art, Cinema Studies, Computer Graphics, Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience.
• Experience with complex animation and simulation rigs, skeletons, deformers, shape libraries, and simulation techniques.
• Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
• Simulation techniques (cloth and hair)
• Knowledge of anatomy, kinematics and physical behaviors
• 3D sculpting tools/techniques
• Python scripting
• The Unix/Linux environment
• Skill in the following areas is desirable:
• Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture
Disney Animation continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to our 62nd animated feature, Wish, releasing November 2023. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and Encanto.
This position is with Walt Disney Animation Studios Vancouver Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re2658-18-232-31-255-42 in your application.