Digital Content Editor
San Francisco, CA
PT SF Reporter, Eater
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter to contribute news stories, features, maps, and guides to our San Francisco city site, one of its marquee publications.
Eater San Francisco's team is growing to match its mission of covering the Bay Area's vibrant dining scene from San Francisco's city limits to the East Bay, Peninsula, wine country, and beyond. The San Francisco reporter should thrive in a fast-paced team environment; have a deep knowledge of the Bay Area dining and food scene; and be able to write and report quickly, accurately, and immerse themselves in the rich world of food, restaurants, and the people behind them. The role includes responsibilities like creating or updating high-touch maps and guides, breaking news (including local and state COVID-19 policy updates that affect restaurants and bars), and making sure our social media channels reflect the diversity and depth of the scene and Eater's storytelling.
Ask yourself: Are you obsessed with restaurants, chefs, news, and all the ups and downs that go hand in hand with the Bay Area restaurant world? Do you fanatically follow every opening, closing, chef change, and trend in San Francisco's always-changing dining landscape? Do you want to help shape the way our audience understands the state of Bay Area dining?
What you'll do:
• Have an understanding of the food and restaurant culture in San Francisco and the greater Bay Area
• Contribute to daily news stories in order to help the San Francisco team meet its editorial calendar requirements and goals, generate ideas for short features, and maintain the accuracy of service-oriented pieces such as maps and guides
• Assist with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and newsletters for Eater SF, keeping in line with Eater's social and editorial standards
• Participate in cross-brand efforts and collaborate with the national Eater.com team as needed, and collaborate with SF's own team on packages and larger stories
• Ensure all copy produced meets our style guide, SEO goals, and editorial standards
• Track openings and develop sources including chefs, restaurateurs, relevant spokespeople, and alternative sources for coverage as needed
• Help shape our coverage of the unveiling crisis surrounding COVID-19 and its impact on the northern California restaurant community
What you'll bring:
• Experience in journalism, particularly with breaking daily news, developing sources, and covering a beat. Experience covering restaurants, hospitality, or real estate is a plus
• Ideas for and the ability to execute ambitious storytelling
• Ability to juggle daily news coverage with ongoing enterprise stories while adhering to deadlines
• Comfort with cold calling, quick deadlines, and a sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
• A desire to continue Eater's reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city
• A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle
• Attention to detail, news judgment, and a careful eye for accuracy
• A passion for and interest in covering historically underserved communities and cultivating diverse sources. Fluency in languages other than English is a strong asset
• Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rvoe37-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.