Deputy Features Editor
Remote / Virtual
The Verge is seeking a reporter to cover the platforms and online communities that are driving culture forward.
As our communities reporter, you'll focus on finding emerging groups and behaviors and telling us why they matter. We want to know where new communities are forming (Clubhouse? Peach?) and why what they're doing matters - from finding new ways of making money, to driving the next big cultural trend.
A great communities reporter will also have an understanding of how people in these groups are making money online. From OnlyFans creators to Etsy shop owners, we want to know how monetization features are shifting the incentives to create different media on different platforms.
This role will be part of The Verge's creators team. You'll be expected to see trends coming before they're covered by mainstream publications, and have a ferocious desire to stay on top of platform dynamics and explore communities on the internet. Work will range from daily news updates to longer reported pieces exploring new trends on your beat.
• Running a beat on a daily basis with coverage from news to larger reports and analysis
• Establish your beat and lead conversations: become the go-to reporter on creator-driven platforms
• Proactively pitch news and analysis
• Help us maintain our collaborative and ambitious team culture
• Strong knowledge of creators and platforms, including who they are and how they operate
• Strong writing skills, including the ability to identify compelling angles and develop them effectively
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxn4n1-3-234-211-61-42 in your application.
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.