Associate Producer, Decoder
Remote / Virtual
Vox Media is seeking an Editorial Director, Verge Podcasts to lead podcasting for its leading consumer technology news network. You'll bring new focus, fresh ideas, and big ambitions to our podcasts.
Starting with our flagship shows, The Vergecast and Decoder with Nilay Patel, you'll examine our current slate of programming and work with our hosts to adapt those shows for the future. From there, you will direct and oversee the development, production, and strategy of new franchises and formats. You should identify what makes a Verge show a must-listen, develop the right approach and execute on new creative strategies.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the Verge's coverage areas, with the expertise required to provide editorial ideas and constructive notes on technology stories. Looking at the current tech podcasting landscape, what is missing that only The Verge can provide?
You should bring an innovative and entrepreneurial growth mindset; you'll start with a small team, execute at a high level, prove creative and audience success, and then pitch new formats, shows, and opportunities.
What you'll do:
• Bring strong editorial, creative, and management leadership to The Verge's podcasting efforts, with the goal of building an ambitious and successful slate of programming.
• Successfully relaunch The Vergecast and strengthen Decoder, identifying where it has opportunities to evolve and grow, and executing on those ideas.
• Develop new shows using Verge talent, IP, or audience insight, including a spin-off Vergecast property.
• Direct a lead producer and audio director, regularly engage and work with freelancers, and grow the team to the needs of our podcasting business.
• Generate pitches, book diverse guests, and lead questions and scripting as needed; with producer, oversee all stages of production.
• Facilitate regular evaluation and feedback of shows' creative strengths and growth success.
• Establish a culture of experimentation and lead evolution of show formats over time.
• Collaborate with Verge journalists, show hosts, and talent and help them develop their on-air skills.
• Oversee promotions and growth strategies for podcasts, working with The Verge's social media managers and Vox Media Podcast Network marketing manager.
• Set goals for audience growth in conjunction with senior leaders.
What you'll bring:
• Expertise in technology journalism and storytelling, and a passion for the tech news and reporting that are core to The Verge.
• Experience as the showrunner or editorial lead for a successful technology podcast or broadcast news program.
• Background in newsroom management, or as the leader of a team.
• A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
• Strong leadership skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively.
• Strong management skills and the ability to help employees grow and thrive in their work.
• A commitment to developing The Verge's unique sound and voice in podcasting, and a determination to create podcasts that are different from anything else out there.
In addition to your cover letter and resume, please review one recent episode of The Vergecast, providing feedback on how you'd make the episode stronger, and outlining how these changes align with your prospective growth strategy for the show and The Verge's podcast ambitions as a whole.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm1bbm-3-238-232-88-42 in your application.
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.