Associate City Editor, Eater (Part-Time)
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter and editor to contribute news stories, reports, and maps to the Los Angeles city site, one of its marquee publications. The associate editor will produce stories daily, including news articles on restaurant openings, high-touch maps and service guides, as well as occasional trends pieces and medium-length features. They will assist the senior editor and lead editor in setting the tone for Eater LA, helping to capture the breadth and depth of the dining scene with an eye for diverse voices, cuisines, and neighborhoods across Los Angeles. The person in the role will be tenacious in breaking news, tracking restaurants through their full life-cycle, and bring a sharp tastemaking sensibility to Eater's service maps and guides. The role will also involve editing other writers and packaging stories for Eater LA's social audience, so a high attention to detail is essential. The associate editor should come with an avalanche of fresh ideas to make Eater LA a must-read publication for dining enthusiasts.
WHO WE ARE
Eater, the national food publication with outlets across the country, is at the forefront of reporting on the restaurant industry, shaping food culture with its award-winning journalism and programming, and telling people where to eat with its beloved maps and guides.
Eater is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what's now, what's next, and what's possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
• Write daily news stories, trends reports, and medium-length features, as well as service-oriented pieces such as maps and guides
• Assist with editing duties as needed, including reading work from freelance writers
• Ensure all copy meets Eater's style guide, SEO goals, and editorial standards
• Track openings, closures, and develop sources including chefs, restaurateurs, relevant spokespeople, and alternative sources for coverage as needed
• Assist with publishing on X/Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and producing newsletters for Eater LA, keeping in line with Eater's standards
• Participate in cross-brand efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as needed
• Juggle daily news coverage and service updates with ongoing enterprise stories while adhering to deadlines
• Assist with editorial administrative tasks as needed
WHO YOU ARE
• Experience in journalism, particularly with breaking daily news, developing sources, and covering a beat
• A wealth of ideas for and practiced ability to execute ambitious storytelling
• Comfort with cold calling, quick deadlines, and a sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
• A desire and interest in understanding of the food and restaurant culture in Los Angeles, covering communities, and cultivating diverse sources
• A drive to continue Eater's reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city
• Attention to detail, news judgment, and careful eye for accuracy
• Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
Bonus points for:
• Experience covering business, real estate, hospitality, or legal matters
• Fluency in languages other than English
• Experience with photography, analytics, Instagram
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We've hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU'LL WORK
This job is remote. We're dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
Want to know more about what working at Eater is like, or have q's not answered here? Check out our extensive FAQ.
The hourly range listed below represents the minimum and maximum base pay for this position at the time of this posting. Final salary offered to the candidate selected for the position will be based on factors including but not limited to the candidate's skills and experience.
$30.29 — $34 USD
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6vw90-44-212-94-18-42 in your application.