We currently are searching for a Production Editor, in our Language Services Department, located in Burbank, California.
Summary: Create or reformat captions and subtitles to the provided video master for distribution over a variety of platforms such as Netflix, Amazon, Google and Hulu. Perform quality checks and delivery of subtitles, captions, and other timed text files. In addition to impeccable language skills, this job requires a very wide range of interests and hobbies, as we deal with a variety of content. The production editor role reports to the production manager of the Language Services department.
*4 positions available* 2 Day shifts positions and 2 swing shift positions
- Creating captions, subtitles, scripts and English templates for translation into foreign languages
- Reformatting or conforming foreign language files to video master
- Encoding and export of caption and subtitle files for delivery
- Complete proficiency in the use of captioning and subtitling applications such as OOONA, EZTitles, Swift, MacCaption, and other proprietary systems
- Full understanding of the various captioning and subtitling specs for different clients and delivery platforms
- File delivery and archive, corresponding updates of workflow management system.
- Identification and reporting any issues to the production team in a clear and concise manner
- Strictly adhering to deadlines and other client requirements
- Perform quality checks and final exports for timed text files for a variety of clients, Internet platforms, TV broadcast, and other destinations
- Deliver files to external or internal recipients as required
- Create QC reports
- Reformat, edit, or originate timed text files on an as-needed basis
- Work closely with production manager, as well as colleagues in Burbank and Bangalore, to understand and follow through with daily priorities
- Understand and follow client specs and department workflows
- Utilize DASH scheduling system to receive assignments, gather information, and update project status
- Maintain an awareness of Visual Data’s culture and uphold the company’s core values and mission statement
- Represent and uphold all operational processes, policies, and procedures to help the company maintain an exceptional level of service for our customers
- Undertake additional department duties as required
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of subtitling, captioning and / or media distribution experience
- Excellent English grammar and spelling (there will be a test)
- Fast and accurate typing skills (60 wpm minimum)
- Proficient in:
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- MS Outlook
- Media File Formats
- Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Journalism or a related field preferred
- Foreign language skills a huge plus, particularly French, German, Japanese, and Spanish
- Proven ability to work quickly and independently, anticipating, recognizing and resolving problems with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with video formats for online viewing platforms
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and projects in a fast-paced environment
- Must be detail-oriented with exceptional time management skills
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- The ability to follow through on instructions
- Wide range of interests such as literature, music, sports and cinema
- Knowledge of current affairs very desirable
- Meticulous attention to detail and exceptional listening skills
- Ability to handle special projects as required
- Must work overtime and weekends when needed
- Perform other related duties as assigned or related to position
- Ability to review and understand technical specs
- Excellent interpersonal and both written and verbal communication skills, and an interest in language
- Strong ability to work unsupervised, at a fast pace in a calm and collected manner
- Ability to problem solve quickly, make decisions based in limited information and take corrective action as needed
- Ability to manage client expectations and juggle multiple priorities
- Ability to identify areas of improvement and inefficiency
- Perform other related duties as assigned or related to position
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Knowledge of television production equipment and software is required
- Knowledge of studio-based production and post production techniques required
- Understanding of technical workflows is required
- Positive, collaborative and unselfish interpersonal skills with strong verbal, written communication skills, including the ability to effectively convey requests and ideas to editors, graphic and audio designers, talent, etc., are required
- Solutions oriented, “Can Do” attitude
- Exceptional people skills
- Active listener and superior communicator
- High level of customer service
- Knowledge of business and service methods
- Ability to think logically and orderly
- Self-starter, team player, and professional demeanor
- Goal oriented and goal driven
- Strong understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives
- Willing and able to learn, understand, and grow with the business
- Team-oriented in a highly collaborative environment
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- Flexible during times of change
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Able to execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Desire to mentor and train less experienced/junior to mid-level employees
- Proficiency in Word & Excel with basic math skills
- Familiarity with graphics & editing programs is a plus
- Good organizational and project coordination skills are necessary, including the ability to compile materials.
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to multitask and work effectively under changing priorities and time constraints
- Willingness to work nights, weekends, flexible hours, work on location, etc
- Knowledge of business and customer service and service methods
- Skill in understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents
- Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Skill in communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience
- The ability to work independently at tasks that require concentration
- Language and communication skills to receive instructions, follow directions, and work both productively and safely
- Continual computer keyboard and monitor use while sitting to perform desk-related work for extended periods of time.
- Continual use of telephone system to receive and convey information
- Occasional walking, grasping, reaching, bending, carrying, and lifting (up to 20 lbs.).
- Position may require employee to be available to work overtime, depending on the Company service requirements.
- Position may require employee to be available to work 8 hours a day and 5 days a week, depending on the Company scheduling requirements
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
Visual Data Media Services authorizes and provides an unpaid meal period, which must be taken for at least thirty minutes and it must commence before the end of the fifth hour of employment. If a non-exempt employee works more than ten hours in one day, the employee may take a second unpaid meal period of at least thirty minutes, which may be waived by mutual consent of both the employer and employee provided the first meal period was taken as long as a Meal Break Waiver Form is on file with Human Resources. If the total work period per day is no more than six hours, the meal period may be waived by mutual consent of both the employer and employee.
Visual Data Media Services authorizes and provides duty-free rest periods for all non-exempt employees. Rest periods consist of at least ten minutes of "net" rest time for each four-hour work period or a major fraction thereof. Rest periods generally occur in the middle of the work shift to the extent practicable. Rest periods are not documented in employee time records.
The Production Editor may work form home. The Production Editor often sits for long periods of time and may work in a time-sensitive environment related to client and service completion, resulting in a demanding and fast paced environment.
In the event that an employee is or becomes disabled from performing one or more of the essential functions of the job, Visual Data Medial Services will engage in an interactive dialogue in a good faith attempt to identify a reasonable accommodation that permits a qualified employee to perform the essential functions of the employee’s job if the requested accommodation does not result in an undue hardship to the company.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d97x3k-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.