Director, Communications (News)
VICE x Team
Built on immersive world-class reporting by a new generation of global correspondents, VICE Media's Group's dedicated news division has boldly redefined news and current affairs for youth audiences through award-winning original news programming, groundbreaking documentaries, special reports and in-depth editorial features across VICE's digital, social and television platforms, and around the world with partners including A+E Networks, Antenna, Showtime, Spotify, iHeartMedia and Hulu.
Role x You
The Global Communications Director, News oversees the communications strategy for VICE Media Group's award-winning global VICE News brand which has 69 Emmy® nominations and 17 wins to date. This position serves as a key leader on the international communications team and for the news division at-large.
This role is embedded within the VICE newsroom, and will work closely with the company's executive and communications teams and news leadership globally as VICE Media Group expands its global news footprint with 'VICE World News.' Building off the success of VICE News in the U.S, VICE World News is a newly-launched content hub from VICE Media Group, producing hundreds of hours of international television, digital and audio news programming for a global audience.
• Leading, developing and executing the company's global communications strategy for its news properties across all vehicles including social, digital, print, audio and broadcast platforms.
• Identifying opportunities to build the VICE World News brand and business narrative and enhance the external understanding of VICE News among consumers, trade and clients internationally.
• Strengthening existing and establishing new relationships with reporters/media outlets, and other external partners around the world (emphasis on U.S, EMEA and APAC)
• Writing and editing press releases, media advisories, briefings, statements, and speeches on a wider corporate level beyond content launches.
• Working directly with the Global Chief Marketing Officer and SVP, Global Communications, to develop and execute high-level corporate communications strategy around the VICE News brand.
• Working closely with counterparts across VICE Media Group's marketing, brand and insights teams to raise the profile of VICE's news-based initiatives and reporting.
• Managing global partnerships, content launches and joint ventures with partners including A+E Networks, SHOWTIME, iHeartMedia and Spotify.
• Managing and directing a global news communications team, including agency partners.
• Identifying third-party commentary topics, trends and news agenda items in order to proactively pitch and secure daily media coverage. Specifically strategizing and executing on opportunities to build VICE's reputation as a leading media company and business.
• Advising and directing a diverse group of news executives and wider company leaders.
You have these:
• Experience in working in international news media either via communications or journalism roles is vital.
• 10+ years of combined experience in corporate communications, public relations, journalism, media and/or entertainment preferred.
• Experience leading and managing a team.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications, digital studies, marketing
• Demonstrated ability to both build strategic plans and help operationalize teams to execute efficiently
• Experience managing multiple direct reports and strong relationship management skills
• Experience developing and managing a budget
• Strong writing skills and ability to develop and deliver presentations
• Consistent track record of securing high-level media coverage
• Corporate communications experience supporting C-suite executives
• Strong existing international relationships with media, including business and trade journalists.
We want to find people who believe in our goals and feel inspired enough to grow while they're here to fill the role, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn't invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you've got.
If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4yy7v-3-235-139-152-42 in your application.