The CBS News Political Unit is seeking a Coordinating Producer with strong reporting and logistical skills to cover the 2022 midterms, the 2024 presidential election and beyond! The job will be based in Washington, DC but will coordinate closely with CBS News NY, CBS satellite bureaus, CBS affiliate teams as well as digital and streaming platforms. Using sound editorial/news judgment, the Coordinating Producer will manage logistics, helping to determine which political events to cover and how to cover them, and ultimately to help lead and execute the CBS News political coverage plan.
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of years of journalism experience and the ability to thrive in a deadline driven news environment. Applicants should have superior organizational skills, a demonstrated ability to prioritize both short-term and long-term projects, strong communication skills, the ability to work calmly under pressure, and strong relationship-building skills.
• Work closely with the Political Director, Washington Bureau Chief, Executive Editor of Politics, Special Events teams, and Executive and Senior Producers of the various CBS News linear and digital broadcasts and platforms to determine which political events we are covering and what resources are needed to do so
• Work with DJs, network crews, correspondents, CBS affiliates, special events, and political pool representatives to organize logistics and make sure everyone has what they need to cover politics
• Keep track of CBS Political Unit equipment (liveus, cameras, lights, mics and other field gear)
• Will work with Finance Department and the Political Director to help create and monitor our adherence to the budget and that we are practicing fiscal responsibility
• Oversee the organization of coverage plans and communicate coverage plans internally to the network
• Oversee the organization of tape/video/editorial filing for the network
• Oversee the organization of political unit digital research files, including political calendar
• Will back up, and answer to, the Political Director on all things editorial, and logistical
• Coordinate editorial coverage as needed – including assigning loggers, reading teams, producers, digital journalists, and other Political Unit staff
• 6+ years' experience working in a deadline driven, news environment
• Superior organizational skills
• Highly developed relationship-building skills
• Strong editorial/logistical/political news judgment with ability to prioritize and work calmly under pressure
• Strong communication skills
• Positive attitude in the workplace
• Ability to work flexible hours, possibly weekends, and long election days
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities
• Ability to work in an agile manner, adjusting to the changing demands of the political landscape and news demands overall
• Broadcast, Print or Digital experience covering politics, White House, or Congress preferred
• Strong enthusiasm for politics
• Previous political field experience preferred
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz6747-3-238-24-209-42 in your application.